- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Nushi Svihelen

Nushi Svihelen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

This is my first official post, so if I should be posting this to another area, please let me know!!

I have a legal description that is giving me a headache, and I am looking for any advice on how to correct the closure problem.  I have taken the issue up with colleagues, and have gotten conflicting advice on how to deal with this.  Here is the legal description:

Commencing at the corner post #23 of Lot 52 of the Township and Range aforesaid and thence running (mag var. 16 1/2o East) North 25 1/2o West 3.36chs; thence North 47o West 4.06chs; thence South 47 1/2o West 9.39chs; thence (mag var. 17o East) South 19 1/4o West 4.06chs;  thence South 40o West 6.95chs; thence South 69 1/4o West 2.75chs; Thence South 27o East 3.88chs; thence South 4 3/4o West 7.50chs to Post No. 6 of Dutch Flat Town Site, Lot 37 of the Township and Rance aforesaid; thence South 30o20' East 2.44chs; thence (mag var. 18o10' East) North 56o19' East 14.6chs to stake No. 4 of said Dutch Flat Town Site; thence North 74o20' East 5.72chs; thence North 32o East 2.42 chs; and thence Norhtwesterly to the place of beginning.

Here is my dilemna, regardless of how I draw this it does not close within acceptable tolerances.  If drawn purely by given bearings and distances, there is a 246' gap in the closure bearing North 73o3' East.  When drawn taking magnetic variances in to account, the boundaries do not match surrounding parcel legal descriptions.

I originally under the impression that there is a course missing in the description, but the oldest description that I could find is identical to the description above.

Any suggestions or help will be sincerely appreciated.

Windows 7 Pro - 32 bit

ArcMap 10 SP5

Autocad 2013 Suite

Dell Optiplex 990

Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4GHz

8GB RAM

AMD RADEON HD 6670

Dual Dell U2412M Monitors

Melita Kennedy

Melita Kennedy

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • United States

You might try posting on http://surveyorconnect.com. However, you will almost certainly be told to hire a surveyor to figure out what's going on. I recommend reading some forum topics to get a feeling for the site before posting.

Nichodemus

Nichodemus

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • United States

I've been to that forum many times reading up on GPS issues and such, and yeah, I'd be wary about posting that on there!

Nushi Svihelen

Nushi Svihelen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

Thank you both for the replies, but this is an ancient (and only) legal description that I have for that particular parcel of land.  The surrounding continguous parcels on three sides are all government land without metes and bounds descriptions.  Essentially, I have one side at 161.04' long that meets up with a common point on an adjoining parcel of land that I can tie to.  I have run the courses out several ways, and I continually come up with a severe closure gap (the largest is over 250') which is unacceptable.  I have run the courses accounting for the variance between magnetic and true north, running them strictly by the given bearings, and I still come up with closure errors.  I was hoping that someone would catch something that I am missing.  The very last course 'and thence Norhtwesterly to the place of beginning' does not make sense either, since all of the errors in the closure leave a gap that is running in a Northeasterly direction.  My guess, is that when the description itself was redone from a handwritten deed to a typed or electronic version, either a course was missed, directions or distances were transposed, or someone was possibly being very dyslexic that day.  Thank you agian for the help and replies.

Windows 7 Pro - 32 bit

ArcMap 10 SP5

Autocad 2013 Suite

Dell Optiplex 990

Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4GHz

8GB RAM

AMD RADEON HD 6670

Dual Dell U2412M Monitors

Barry Graham

Barry Graham

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Australia

I have run your closure through my FreeCOGO program and the closing line back to the point of commencement is N7°34'W for a distance of 12.12chs (about 800 ft) - according to the description supplied by you.

This is the line for the description "thence Northwesterly to the place of beginning".

I ignored the magnetic variation but the closure is definitely North West.

In my experience with boundary descriptions the closing description "thence Northwesterly........" usually refers to some natural feature (river, ridgeline), road or administrative boundary.

Township.jpg

Barry Graham
Melbourne, Australia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->