- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Laskaris

Laskaris

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

I am trying to create datasets of "tilted Earths". One example of such a "tilted Earth" would be an Earth where Australia is at the north pole. When it comes to maps in image formats like .jpeg, I can reproject them accordingly with the Geocart 3 software. However, Geocart 3 does not (to my knowledge) allow for the transformation of GIS datasets in such a way.

Is there a free program which will transform a netcdf or geotiff elevation data file so that, in the new coordinate system, Australia can be put at the north pole and the rest of the world is reprojected accordingly?

I hope I have been clear about what, exactly, I am trying to do. If not, do not hesitate to ask me for clarifications.

Thank you for your help!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

It sounds like a project I was working on a few years ago: a globe, but with Japan on the southern hemisphere as it was to be hung from a ceiling for some exhibition in Japan. Unfortunately the whole thing was cancelled before I could get my head around the reprojection issue, but I'll see what I can find.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Strebe

Strebe

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Map projections. Snobby chocolate. Science in general.
  • United States

Geocart works with TIFFs as well. It does not use the "Geo" portion of GeoTIFF, but as long as the image is in a projection you can describe in Geocart, then it can reproject it.

-- daan Strebe

Laskaris

Laskaris

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

Geocart works with TIFFs as well. It does not use the "Geo" portion of GeoTIFF, but as long as the image is in a projection you can describe in Geocart, then it can reproject it.

Yes, but I need to have the "Geo" portion of the information reprojected as well. I need to be able to read and use the exact elevation data for the new, "tilted Earth" dataset.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->