• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I've designed a simple hatch swatch in Illustrator and applied it to a large number of polygons (through a graphic style). I'm seeing some issues around the seams of the swatch, both in Illustrator and in Photoshop after rasterizing it.

Attached File  issue.jpg   22.16KB   19 downloads

Any suggestions on how I can overcome this (other than designing the swatch at a much larger size). They're not visible when I'm printing, but that may also be due to my cruddy laser printer :rolleyes:

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

You should share your swatch so we could check it...

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I have seen this too, but for me it was mostly on screen in Illustrator, when exported and printed you don't see it. I think it has to do with the clipping masks in the pattern.

Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • United States

I've heard that it's Illustrator trying to anti-alias each tile individually. It happens even with the built-in swatches. If they're showing up on export to a raster format, try using the "art optimized" sampling. Another option is to create the swatch with horizontal or vertical hatches, and then rotate the fill. Obviously that won't work for most patterns though but should work fine for your case. 

*addendum* If you have CS6 or CC, try making your pattern in the new pattern maker (Object > Pattern > Make). I was just playing around with it again and couldn't get the tiling bug to show up with any patterns made within it. But if I made the same exact pattern the old way (drawing an invisible rectangle over some artwork, then grouping it and dragging it to the swatches panel) the hairlines show up again. The nice thing about the new pattern making tool is that you can specify different tiling schemes in addition to grid, such as brick or hexagon tiles.

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->