Photo

Free/inexpensive way to get shapefiles into Illustrator?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

SWriverstone

SWriverstone

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Hi...I'm wondering if there is a free or inexpensive way to get shapefiles into Adobe Illustrator? (By whatever means.) I've done some searching and noticed some people suggest the MAPublisher plugin for Illustrator...except...that's like...THOUSANDS of dollars! :-O (A little out of my league I'm afraid.)

Any other possibilities or known ways to do it? After all, all these file formats are just numbers, right? :-)

Thanks,

Scott

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

IIRC you can do a SVG output from QGIS (qgis.org) and open that in Illustrator. It would just be the geometry data though, no attributes, which is one of the reasons why I love MAPublisher so much ;)

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

Hi

Rather than buying Mapublisher, let someone who owns it do it for you :rolleyes: . I will also generate labels if the shp files have suitable attributes.

Let me know.

Anu

http://www.mapsandlocations.com

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

Oh I remember Axis maps has an app Indiemapper http://indiemapper.com/app/

It can generate svg from shp, kml, etc.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

IIRC you can do a SVG output from QGIS (qgis.org) and open that in Illustrator. It would just be the geometry data though, no attributes, which is one of the reasons why I love MAPublisher so much ;)

The layout composer feature in Quantum Geographic Information Systems remains at this point less then the desired output that a cartographer wants to see before exportation into Adobe Illustrator.  It's understandable we are talking about about a free product. Yet "I" feel that despite the major advancement of the software near to the legacy & out of its league Manifold System that there is a disappointing aspect to some of the functionality.

It is correct that MAPublisher tends to work such a way to produce faster results, readable geometric files, database input, yet a starting cartographer should not pursue this avenue beyond the obvious costly expense for the software & yearly maintenance.  The basic principle must be explored & learned by the learner; subjects such as digitizing, corrective text placement, trivium rules in relation to cartographic principles, designing, & other techniques beyond my conscience for the moment.

No matter the selection of choice by this individual we all can take joy in the thrill of the creation & the blending of the feminine & masculine brain. 

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Agnar Renolen

Agnar Renolen

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • No Country Selected

Of course, you can always learn how to implement your own illustrator plug-in, using the free shapelib library.
Can be done using entirely free tools, but takes a lot of learning if you haven't made an illustrator plugin before, let alone knowing how to program in C/C++.

l.jegou

l.jegou

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Webmapping, thematical mapping.
  • France

Hello, i'm a bit late but you can also use the (foss) ogr2ogr command line tool to convert shapefiles to SVG :

http://www.gdal.org/ogr_utilities.html

This tool is available as part of the FWTools :

http://fwtools.maptools.org/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->