GIS consultant

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

tea2

tea2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

I am currently at university studying Geomatics. This semester I have chosen to do an internship which will count towards credit (as being a subject) for my degree. Through the help of the subject coordinator, I have found an internship client. The 'client' is a residential outdoor educational school (in other words... a camping school?) Currently, the maps of the school have is purely hand drawn with little accuracy etc. My role in this internship project is to act as a GIS consultant and the technician, essentially to come up with something better. All this information has simply come from the internship coordinator. As part of my internship subject, I'm required to schedule a meeting with the client and gain more context to what they need and to see the site etc. As I have no experience whatsoever in a GIS consultant and technician role, I was hoping to get some advice as to what questions I should ask to get the most out of the meeting with the client. I know that I should ask questions related to whether they have any licenses (if any) for GIS software, do they have existing files to work with (ie dwg files). But I'm unsure what else to ask them? Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

Melita Kennedy

Melita Kennedy

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • United States

I would assume they have no existing GIS data--so see what you can find online! Are the parcel / plat maps available? Any rasters or aerial photography? This will also give you information on whether there's data availlable but it's not free. Do they have any budget to acquire data?

Are they interested more in infrastructure (internal use) or customer-facing which might not be that accurate and more in line with what they have now. I personally hate the representational maps you get at theme parks, but maybe that's more in line with what they're thinking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->