gasparri

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Panoramic Cartography, Music, Art, Guitar
  • Slovenia

Hello,

in recent days I'm working on new panorama map of Croatia. As you may know Croatia has recently joined the European Union, so I wanted to highlight that with wider view. Map covers the following cities: Munich, Vienna (Austria), Bratislava (Slovakia), Budapest (Hungary), Venice (Italy), Padova (Italy), Podgorica (Montenegro). 

The map is currently in 2/3. More in the coming days! 

All the best, Bojan

Attached Files

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

It looks great. Please do share the software and data used to create this, and if possible the methodology.

gasparri

gasparri

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Slovenia

Thank you @ProMapper. Something about my work process I wrote in the topic "New panorama of Germany", but Im happy to describe it more accurately.

As a starting point I (usually) take the classic cartographic map of area, which is then processed in a bit - program (photoshop). Map is than drawn in several layers. I separated forests, valleys, cities, hills, so that each of the layers could later be color corrected. The Alps are produced with the help of an atlas, so that I can accurately define each peak. In this procedure, Im using a brush that has a size of 8-12 pixels, depending on how accurat area I want to achieve. For example, in Germany I used a brush whit size of 6-8 pixels, which means that panorama is very accurate, but it has disadvantages as well. Work process is very time consuming and from afar away map does not work uniform. However, in Germany, I can now use the individual captures as a single map.

The second part of the map are descriptions and contents (roads, all the names, rivers, all boundaries, small lakes, airports, symbols, ...) That is provided by my colleague who uses Corel Draw (which is more friendly to use than Adobe Ilostrator). Usually, for this part of the map needs as much time as is I to make panorama.

For makeing Croatia, until today I spent around half a year. But really intense work (about 12 hours per day). I use a brush size of 11 pixels. Map will be completed in late August.

I attached a first version combined with content. And I "play" a bit with colors :)

All the Best, Bojan

Attached Files

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

You mean it's drawn by hand??? (insert impressed silence...)  :blink:

gasparri

gasparri

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Slovenia

Yes, the map is completely handmade.
The problem with programs that show the 3D effect is that the area from close look, looks quite finished, but when you move the point of view heigher and widther the area get somehow distorted. The next problem is that the area from close contain too much information, which are confounding factors. In making panoramic map you always have to look at the whole picture, never just a single piece. So you need to determine which information is important and you deliberately emphasize it or ignore it.
As an easiest example, are the Alps and hills in general on my maps (and in all the panoramic maps) they are canted by a factor of 6-8 times, giving them a lot of drama.

I started making panoramas 25 years ago. At first I drew over 30 panoramas manually. Just with brush and airbrush. This knowledge I later transferred to the computer.

Today I have prepared a map for "trial" print. I lost a lot of time in determining the color for the legend.
Somehow I'm not most pleased with the transition between the white and blue in legend. Do you have any idea what color to be applied to the legend?

Thanks for the suggestions,

have a nice day, Bojan

Attached Files

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • United States

I wonder if it would look better if you made the blue (or whatever color you go with) boxes semi-transparent? Might also try different placements.

Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

zabdi3l

zabdi3l

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Mexico

Great map, thanks for sharing. :D

gasparri

gasparri

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Slovenia

Hey,

DaveB, already at the start I think I will done the legend semi-transparent. Then the next problem acoure, the font in the legend does not see well because of the too many colors under it, so this idea does not function.

In positioning the right legend, I have space only in the territory of Bosnia and Herzegovina (because the whole Bosnia is in a map) and its important that I minimaze it. It is the same with the left one, there is to much Italy that I need to ignore.

So, in the end I'll use something like this. Your opinion?

Attached Files

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • United States

It's funny, in the thumbnail the legend boxes in that version stand out more and seem a bit much, but when I look at the full image it looks better. So, yeah, I think I like the second version better.

One nit-picky thing and it may just be me, but I like to have the spacing between the legends and the frame more even. In other words, I would make the spacing on the left and bottom of the left-hand legend the same, and then use that same amount of spacing on the right-hand side of the right-hand legend. I think it just balances things better. Again, it could just be me. :)

Excellent work!

Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

gasparri

gasparri

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Slovenia

DaveB don't worry, this is only a draft preparation of the legend. I will edit these "nit-picky" things up before preparing it for the print. Map still needs a lot of work which will be seen in it's full size - 160 x 120 cm.

Thank you, Bojan

• Michael Karpovage likes this

gasparri

gasparri

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Slovenia

Hello,

Map is completed, tomorrow I take it to the printing house.

Hope you like it. Commendations and remarks are welcomed  :)

Regards, Bojan

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->