• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

l.jegou

l.jegou

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Webmapping, thematical mapping.
  • France

Hello, i'm currently designing an online tool to help visualize the major colors relations and proportions of an image, especially a thematic color map (choropleth). I'm currently fine-tuning the parameters and writing the paper. It's a new version of a prototype developed for my PhD thesis.

The aim is to facilitate the comprehension of color gradients used in maps. I imagine two main uses : first to understand a "good" thematic map to potentially reuse its colors, second to evaluate a work-in-progress. Often, the use of an automatic cartography software don't provide an appreciation of the quantitative proportion of the image surface used by colors. There is an idea about compensating large patches of colors by reducing their saturation.

The principle is quite simple : the major colors are represented as proportional symbols on a (HSV) color wheel.

The tool is free, open-source and don't require the upload of the image, they are processed locally within the browser (the magic of the HTML5+JS combo).

http://www.geotests....quences_en.html

The main parameter is the YUV color difference, ie. the threshold above which the pixels colors are not aggregated into a color bin.

What do you think ?

Attached Files

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Canada

Interesting tool. I think I may be trying it out on some of my maps.

l.jegou

l.jegou

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • France

The tool was updated to add axes labels, different colorspaces for computing the color differences, and a CC licence :-)

l.jegou

l.jegou

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • France

Nevermind

l.jegou

l.jegou

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • France

Hello, the tool was updated again, with the capacity to export the analysis as SVG and the possibility of transparent symbols :

http://www.geotests....frequs_svg.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: thematic map, colors, online tool, html5, javascript, design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->