• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

mrisgeovb

mrisgeovb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • India

sir,

I am Mridul Das, a research scholar of Visva Bharati university, West Bengal, India. 

sir, i want to create a drainage density map in arcgis 10, in arcmap. i created a drainage poly line featre of my study area. I wants create a 1 sq. km. gird line and then the density map upon this will be prepared . 

If you kindly give me some steps to solve this problem then I will be highly benefited.

Thanks and regards Mridul Das.

Melita Kennedy

Melita Kennedy

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • United States

I am not sure what you want to do, but you can create a 1 sq km grid feature class using the Create Fishnet tool. You'll want to create it using the extents of your area of interest. The rest of your data should be using a projected coordinate reference system. Use the same values for Create Fishnet, and then use the Define Projection tool to assign the same coordinate system to the fishnet feature class.

After that, intersect? And then some way to calculate what percentage of each 1 sq km is from the drainage polygon. But this area of the software isn't my specialty.

souvik.gis

souvik.gis

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:GIS, Cartography,Music
  • India

Dear Mridul,

I'm also from west bengal. I can help you, please send me your email where I can send you the process.

Regards

Souvik Banerjee

AndrewM

AndrewM

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United Kingdom

If you have the Spatial Analyst extension then it may be worth looking at the 'Line Density' tool. You can read more about its capabilities here.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I'm also from west bengal. I can help you, please send me your email where I can send you the process.

Actually, for the benefit of others who may be encountering the same problem, could you please post it here (or at the very least a brief description)?

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

souvik.gis

souvik.gis

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • India

Actually, for the benefit of others who may be encountering the same problem, could you please post it here (or at the very least a brief description)?

Ok here is the process: - - - - - - - 

Calculating Geometry and Drainage Density
In order to calculate drainage density for a basin or sub-basin, you must first ensure that you have the lengths of all channels within the basin's boundaries (rivers, streams, etc.), as well as the area for the entire basin.

The procedure below outlines the steps for calculating drainage density in ArcGIS 10.

Note: It is important that the data you are working with is in a projected coordinate system with relevant units. Using unprojected data as input for these calculations will yield incorrect results.

Step 1 Adding Fields

Open ArcMap and add the stream and basin files you are working with to the map document. Right-click the stream layer's name in the table of contents and select Open Attribute Table. Examine the attribute table to determine if there is a field containing length values. If a length field does not exist, this property can be calculated with minimal effort using the steps below:
a. Click the Table Options icon ( image.jpg ) and select Add Field.
b. Enter a short, descriptive name for the field and choose a data type of Double. Click OK.

image.jpg

Step 2 Calculating Geometry

Geometry calculations must be performed in an active editing session. Editing sessions are initiated using the Editor toolbar. If you do not see the Editor toolbar on your screen, access the Customize menu and select Toolbars > Editor. The toolbar should appear on your screen.

image.jpg

Click Editor > Start Editing to initiate an editing session. Return to the attribute table and highlight your new field by clicking on the column heading. Right-click and select Calculate Geometry

image.jpg

Set the Property field to Length. Select the desired coordinate system and units. Click OK. The length of each line segment is calculated and entered in to the attribute table. Click the Editor drop down arrow and select Stop Editing. Save your edits when prompted.

image.jpg

Repeat the steps above to add an AREA field to your basin attribute table, start an editing session, and set the Property to Area in the Calculate Geometry dialog. You will likely want to add a field for the final results of your calculation as well; repeat step 1 above to add a DENSITY field with a double data type to your basin attribute table.

Step 3 Using the Field Calculator

The field calculator is provided for use when you wish to calculate a property that is not related to the geometry of the data. As mentioned above, we know that drainage density is equal to the total length of all channels within the basin divided by the total area of the basin:

total length channels (m) = m-1
    Drainage Density =                ----------------------------------------------------------       
                                                                       basin area (m2)

You can see from the equation that you are required to sum the lengths of the channels calculated in Step 2. It is not necessary to do so manually; instead, open the attribute table that is associated with your channels, right-click on the LENGTH field and select Statistics. The resulting dialog provides general statistics for the LENGTH field, including the sum of its values. Make note of the total sum for use in the next step.

Start an editing session and open the basin attribute table. Right-click on the DENSITY field and select Field Calculator.

image.jpg

In the Field Calculator:

a. Enter the total channel length
b. Click the division sign to enter it into the expression
c. Double-click the AREA field in the Fields list so that it is entered into the expression box.
d. Click OK. The drainage density will be calculated and entered in the basin attribute table.
e. Click Editor > Stop Editing and save your edits when prompted.

image.jpg

You should now have a field in your basin attribute table displaying the drainage density for each individual basin.

Please reply if this steps need to correct.

souvik.gis

souvik.gis

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • India

I have replied on this topic, but I don't know why it was not posted. Now I'm attaching a pdf, follow the steps..

Please reply...

Attached File  Drainage density.pdf   141.1KB   40 downloads

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Souvik,

Your post didn't show up immediately because your member status was still "New Member" (and those posts have to be approved by an admin first). I've approved your posts and changed your member status. And thank you very much for your very in-depth reply. It's much appreciated.

• souvik.gis likes this
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

souvik.gis

souvik.gis

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • India

Hi Souvik,

Your post didn't show up immediately because your member status was still "New Member" (and those posts have to be approved by an admin first). I've approved your posts and changed your member status. And thank you very much for your very in-depth reply. It's much appreciated.

Hello Maarel,

I feel very much honored to be a contributor of this forum. Thank you very much for making me contributor. It is my pleasure to provide the proper answer. Thank you again.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->