4 replies to this topic

alanb

alanb

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Lao People's Democratic Republic

Attached File  Portrait_grey_fading_18_06_13_very_low_res.jpg   181.45KB   103 downloads

Hello All,

This is the first time I have posted an example for feedback here, though I have been very much enjoying all of your products in the last few years.

Here is a map I have in production for the Challenge Programme for Water and Food (CPWF), part of  the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR).

The aim is to represent a recent collection of data of all locations of hydropower and irrigation dams in the Mekong River Basin.  I have tried to only include enough other administrative and physiographic data to provide sufficient context to the map and the dam location data of interest.

This particular product will be printed as an 'A1' wall map.

I would be very appreciative of any feedback you could provide as to the cartographic quality of the map.  Personally I am reasonably happy with the map itself (though please let me know if you disagree).  My main concern is the overall presentation, especially the design and distribution of auxiliary map elements, overall readability and whether the presentation 'hits home' with regard to what is trying to communicate.

I have included all of the text and elements required my the remit.  The text for one may seem a bit bulky.

Anything you can think of that might make the map more professional or techniques associated with slicker presentation of map elements would be really great.

Cheers,

Alan

Here is a low res version (3.1 MB) - https://dl.dropboxus..._13_low_res.jpg

Here is a mid res version (8.8 MB) - https://dl.dropboxus..._13_mid_res.jpg

P.S. If you have any links to map examples similar to this or to illustrate you point, it would be very useful.

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello Alan,

First thing that caught my attention was "Under-Construction" in the title.  In the United States we do not hyphenate the two words.  Not sure if that is the case in Australia, England, or any other English speaking countries.  Either way, your use of it is not consistent.  In the first sentence of your map description you use "under construction" without a hyphenation, and then in your legend you just use the word construction. I would keep it consistent  throughout since it is one of your three major data that you are mapping.

I would shorten the sub-title.  Using "In the Mekong River Basin" is redundant since you have already used that in the Title.  I think that adding the year the dam data were collected/published would be useful in the sub-title.

I find it hard to believe that all the tributaries rivers represented on this map are all named "Mekong River" as your legend suggests.

I assume that faded/blurred grey lines are country borders, but Thailand crosses over one so maybe they are not.

Your labeling could use improvement throughout, but north of Vientiane and south of Hue I can't understand your data labels.  There are a lot of data to label in those area, perhaps this could be solved with inset maps at a larger scale.  I think that would be more beneficial in the space to the left then a giant locator map, scale bar, and north arrow.

This is a pretty good start.  Overall the map is pleasant to look at.  Thanks for posting.

kru

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

alanb

alanb

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Excellent feedback thank you so much.  I will implement all of the changes you suggest.  Actually I had spotted the last two points just after I had posted the map and changed "Mekong River" in the legend to "Mekong River (& major tributaries)".  I have also improved the labelling somewhat, though the two areas you mentioned remain somewhat cluttered.  I am not sure if I can get away with label point size by one or two.  It is already at 8.  But now the labels do not overlap onto other dam points - which is already a great improvement.

I can not find any use of "under-construction" in British or American English - so thank you.

Not sure what you mean about the country boundaries, but 'Thailand' no longer crosses the boundary.  I puposely made them gray and blurred so as not to interfere with the River lines, which follow the border for most of the way through Laos.

Will discuss the Title and sub-title with the client.

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers, Alan

Agnar Renolen

Agnar Renolen

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • No Country Selected

A couple of comments. Generally, carographically, a good starting pont. The watershed of Mekong realy stands out as the focus of the map.

But, choice of dam symbols need more thought. Colouring is not intuitive to me, are there more intuitive colors or symbols?
Secondly, tidy up your labels. Too many labels on top of adjacent symbols. Make sure to avoid collissions between symbols and labels, and labels and labels.

alanb

alanb

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Good advice Agnar!  So I have done exactly as you have said - I have changed the dam spot colours and I have much better conflict detection now for the labels.  I will post the final version shortly.  Thanks again for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->