Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

This seems like it should be a really easy thing to find, but I always get tangled in a maze of frustrating database work and JOIN failures in Arc.

Is there a good place to find demographic data (particularly Median Household Income) by census tract that's already in shapefile form?

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

jlmurack

jlmurack

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

The Census has some TIGER files pre-joined with demographic data:

http://www.census.go...tiger-data.html

I'm not sure if Median Household Income is included, but there are a lot of variables. Another trick is to create a map in Factfinder from one of the variables you plan to download. Then in the map view you can download a .shp file. This only includes that one variable, but it puts the GeoID in the same format as the GeoID from all the data tables, so you don't have to worry about converting from text to numeric, adding leading 0's etc. when you join.

Jennie Murack

Geospatial Data Librarian

MIT

Edited by jlmurack, 20 May 2013 - 09:56 AM.

mfarmer

mfarmer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • United States

Jennie, do those attributes come with meaningful field names, or do you need a translator for those?

amtait

amtait

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:map design, mountain cartography, typography
  • United States

Having worked with lots of Census data over the years, I know your frustration. I often use the Census data that comes bundled with ArcGIS, it is already joined to shapefiles. It isn't always the most currect but if you have ArcMAP and the data has what you need, it's easy to use.

Alex Tait
VP, International Mapping, Ellicott City, MD, USA

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • United States

My ArcGIS license is not current (I only have 10.0).  Is this data that comes on DVDs, or is it on the ESRI website someplace?

chicagocarto.com

mfarmer

mfarmer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • United States

Try: http://www.census.go...tiger-data.html. It has geography down to the Census Tract. Two statements to be aware of:

"These national level shapefiles join the geometry and selected attributes from the 2010 Census TIGER/Line Shapefiles and the 2010 Census Summary File 1 Demographic Profile (DP1) for the United States and Puerto Rico. They contain data items such as total population, total housing units, median age, population 16 years and over, population 65 years and over, race, relationship, average household size, and many others. All files are zipped."

"These files lack metadata.  Metadata for the shapefiles can be found in the 2010 Census TIGER/Line Shapefiles.  There is an MS Excel file in each zip file that relates the short data table name of the demographic profile data element to its full name. For example, "DP0010001" is the short name for the data table containing total population. The attribute table for each shapefile contains the short names for each data element."

katzmoye

katzmoye

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • United States

Does it have to be in shapefile form? If you are using ArcMap you could add a service from ArcGIS Online. USA Media Household Income in 2012 is available if I type in "census" into the search box.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • United States

Yes, I'll need to export it to Illustrator and then pretty it up.  ArcGIS Online services produce those weird strips when exported.

chicagocarto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->