Photo

QGIS + OSM = Maps that look nothing like OpenStreetMap.org?!?

- - - - - qgus osm openstreetmap.com adobe illustrator

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

cityprints

cityprints

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • United States

Hi Cartos, 

I've been trying to import different data into QGIS to produce maps that look like what's displayed on OpenStreetMap.com, mainly I want big roads to be thick, small roads to be skinny (like we're used to seeing on any online map). I have imported a variety of shapefiles, and all have good street data, but I can't get the variety of road thickness like I'm looking for. The end game is to get vector shapes into Adobe Illustrator for manipulation. 

Does anyone know of a technique to export vector data from a source that will give you the different road thicknesses as displayed on OpenStreetMap.com?

Thanks for your time. 

Tony

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Have you tried importing the OSM data into QGIS? (there's a plugin for that) Then you can apply your own styles based on the highway attribute.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

cityprints

cityprints

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the reply Hans. No, I haven't yet - but the highway attribute sounds interesting. 

Is this the one you're talking about?

http://wiki.openstre...QGIS_OSM_Plugin

It looks like it has some bugs, hopefully that won't be an issue for my uses. 

Thanks again for your help,. 

Tony

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Making great mapping software.
  • Canada

At the risk of sounding self-serving, I can tell you that if "The end game is to get vector shapes into Adobe Illustrator for manipulation." you can try MAPublisher.

I don't normally post shameless plugs like this but Tony, you did hit this one right into our glove. :rolleyes:

regards

Ted

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

When Map Quality Matters ®

www.avenza.com

Cartographic and spatial imaging solutions for Adobe Creative Suite

Mobile mapping solutions for using, selling and distributing maps to mobile devices

mp_logo.gif    gi_logo.gifpdf-maps-icon.png

cityprints

cityprints

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • United States

Thanks Ted - but does MAPublisher offer the various road thicknesses like I described?

Thanks for your help. 

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Netherlands

The QGIS plugin will apply some basic styling, including road widths based on that highway attribute. You can then change those styles if you want. MAPublisher will not apply any styles by itself, instead it gives you full control over how the map will end up.

The highway attribute contains a description of the road type (motorway, primary, secondary, tertiary and so on). Do note that there are sometimes errors in it because depending on what editor is used, it's a free text field. Few years ago I listed all unique values of that highway attribute in The Netherlands, there were 72... including 3 misspellings of "residential". I think there's been a QA step since, and it's been brought down to a more manageable number, but still you're somewhat at the mercy of the OSM editors.

Red Geographics

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Canada

Using MAPublisher offers the complete design and creative environment of Adobe Illustrator at you fingertip when making a map.

So I suppose the answer to your question is yes. You can set up a series of line styles for example that have whatever colours and thicknesses you desire and then apply them automatically to the road features based on the attributes.

Thanks Ted - but does MAPublisher offer the various road thicknesses like I described?

Thanks for your help. 

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

www.avenza.com

Mobile mapping solutions for using, selling and distributing maps to mobile devices

cityprints

cityprints

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • United States

Thanks Hans, that makes sense. I played around with the plugin and I'm having a hard time with the limits the server puts on the distance it will plot. I'd like to create maps of large cities, but only the primary roads. Is there a workaround that you know of to plot large cities with the motorways and primary roads?

Ted - I'll checked out MAPublisher and the software looks like a perfect fit, but the data seems limited (and expensive). I need to create maps of big cities in the US and around the world - is there a product that would fit the bill? Also, I work from one of the new iMACs (no optical drive). Am I correct in reading that there is not a downloadable version of the data, only DVDs?

Thanks for both of your help!

Tony

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I might be missing something, but varying line widths is possible in any software package.  As long as the original shapefiles contain some attribute you can use to classify the highways differently from local streets, you can make the map look almost identical to OSM.  What are the attributes/column headings in your dataset?

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

cityprints - note that MaPublisher is a plugin to Illustrator, a software that makes it easier to import geographic data to prepare maps - it is not a map database/source. An alternative (one of many) to QGis

Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Netherlands

cityprints - note that MaPublisher is a plugin to Illustrator, a software that makes it easier to import geographic data to prepare maps - it is not a map database/source. An alternative (one of many) to QGis

I think he's referring to one of the cities datasets that Avenza offers.

Red Geographics

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Canada

All of our datasets are available as downloads as well as on DVD.

These days most people download.

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

www.avenza.com

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Canada

Hey again, Tony.

MAPublisher is independent of the data we offer. MAPublisher can be used with almost any GIS data set regardless of where you get it. It absolutely does not require the use of our data sets nor any data sets in particular. The data we do offer is made available as a convenience for those who require it.

Ted

Thanks Hans, that makes sense. I played around with the plugin and I'm having a hard time with the limits the server puts on the distance it will plot. I'd like to create maps of large cities, but only the primary roads. Is there a workaround that you know of to plot large cities with the motorways and primary roads?

Ted - I'll checked out MAPublisher and the software looks like a perfect fit, but the data seems limited (and expensive). I need to create maps of big cities in the US and around the world - is there a product that would fit the bill? Also, I work from one of the new iMACs (no optical drive). Am I correct in reading that there is not a downloadable version of the data, only DVDs?

Thanks for both of your help!

Tony

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

www.avenza.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: qgus, osm, openstreetmap.com, adobe illustrator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->