• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

erichclimb

erichclimb

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

Forgive me if this is in the wrong place but I would like some feedback on one of my maps for a school project. A little background: This map was made for a proposed state park near Missoula, Montana. I am looking for feedback on the color of the map and the legend or anything else you feel would improve this map. I will be labeling the main roads (I-90) in Adobe ill later. Thank you for the help.

cheers

erich

Attached Files

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Title: will the viewers know what a cadastral map is?  Maybe “Proposed Milltown State Park”?

River names should be in italics and follow the river curve.  Might be easier to do this in Illustrator.

Make the US (not USA) Forest Service land a light grayed green so that the proposed state park can be in a deep green and stand out most.

“Commercial area” seems to include a golf course at upper left.  For our purposes, it’s not terribly important to distinguish residential from commercial.  You might use a tan/ocher for residential and a very grayed salmon for commercial—but make the golf course some kind of green.

Maybe give the white areas a light tan or gray fill, and then you can make all the parcel boundaries very thin white so they recede to the background.

Is the projection info important to the viewers?  The scale bar is overly prominent and detailed.  Why does the legend overlap the map?  Why does it have a round-cornered rectangle battling for control of the box?  What order are the legend items in?  What does State of Montana mean?  Presumably that’s also some sort of conservation and open space area that should be green.

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

erichclimb

erichclimb

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

Thanks! As you know it's great to get a fresh pair of eyes on something I've been looking at for a while. To anwser one of the questions the rectangle around the lengend was a flub, messed that one up.

cheers

erich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->