Photo

Cartography & Geography inspired small business on Etsy

- - - - - map gifts vintage maps repurposed maps handmade map tshirts geography decor small business cartography business product design

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

AllMappedOut

AllMappedOut

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Just wanted to introduce my small, cartography-inspired business (All Mapped Out) to a relevant audience of fellow map lovers and designers.  I finished my PhD in Geography (focus on Cartography, and language mapping in particular) in 2011 and dabbled in academics as a Visiting Assistant Professor, but wasn't quite sure if that career path was for me.  I'd been gathering maps and atlases from antique malls, thrift shops, estates sales, and the like and realized it didn't do much good if they were still buried away on my shelf out of everyone's view.  I wanted to find a way for them to be appreciated again and so was born my new handmade business, All Mapped Out - I repurpose vintage (or recently outdated) maps into coaster sets to bring a little cartography to your coffee table! 

Attached File  P4215936.JPG   154.16KB   12 downloads

Actual maps, not color copies, are decoupaged and sealed (4 coats applied with a brush) onto ceramic tiles with a cork backing to protect the furniture below.  Sets piece back together like a puzzle to form the original atlas page or map portion.  Unless I have multiple copies of the same vintage source, my products are one-of-a-kind.  I have a growing inventory on my Etsy shop but I also work with individuals to make custom map sets as special gifts.  Hearing the stories behind the requested custom sets are really one of the most interesting and rewarding aspects of my new job and a great reminder that truly EVERYONE loves maps! 

But the map nerdiness doesn't stop there!  I also started venturing into tshirt designs as well - still cartography/geography themed of course!  Only 2 shirts so far, but MANY ideas left to go.

Attached File  P3135180.jpg   176.72KB   15 downloads

I love interacting with my diverse customers, but as an academic geographer, I most truly hope to capture the approval of my fellow cartographers and geographers who live and breathe maps and design as much as I do.  I'd love it if you just took a look at my shop and I'm grateful for any ideas or feedback you have about my products, design, or business in general. 

Thanks for reading!

Candice Luebbering

Owner/Designer/Maker at All Mapped Out

Find All Mapped Out:

On Twitter: @all_mapped_out

On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/allmappedout

On Etsy: www.allmappedout.etsy.com

Fledgling website: www.all-mapped-out.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: map gifts, vintage maps, repurposed maps, handmade, map tshirts, geography decor, small business, cartography business, product design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->