malkaitz

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, bike and walk trips, beekeeping
  • Spain

Hi!

I want to show how I place and label contour lines in ArcMap. I´d read a lt of topics but I didn´t  found something like this.

The idea is place the label where you want creating perpendicular line features that you use for create buffer polygons.

The buffer distance must be the half of label size or label length .

Attached File  Contour_1.jpg   25.99KB   26 downloads    Attached File  Contour_2.jpg   30.66KB   38 downloads

You use  the buffer polygon for clip and erase the original contour feature.

You label the clip contour feature with the altitude attribute. You haven´t  to write labels one by one or change the angle orposition

You simbolize the clip contour lines with " no color". 

For the layout you use the clip and the erase contour features.

Attached File  Contour_4.jpg   29.28KB   51 downloads   Attached File  Contour_3.jpg   28.61KB   44 downloads

I show you the final result  and the elected location for the labels on the pdf map.

I hope it´d be useful for someone

Greetings

Attached Files

pghardy

pghardy

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • United Kingdom

It produces a nice result but might be a tedious process to manually position all the labels for a bigger map. Did you try the more usual automated sequence? That is:

1) Use the Maplex labelling engine to label the contours. Maplex is now included in all ArcMap licence levels, and has a contour labelling mode with specific controls for things like uphill label orientation;

2) When you are happy with the parameters for the dynamic labelling, convert the labels to database annotations (stored text features) - you can edit and reposition these annotations if you really need, although the automated placing is pretty good these days.

3) Use the feature outline masks geoprocessing tool to create polygon mask features (this tool requires Advanced licence level)

4) Turn on layer masking between the contour lines layer, and the masks layer, so that the parts of the contours under the masks will be dynamically clipped out and not drawn.

Regards,

--
Paul Hardy
ESRI Europe (phardy@esri.com)

malkaitz

malkaitz

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, bike and walk trips, beekeeping
  • Spain

You are right, Paul; it is not good for a big map.

Thanks for the advice. It´s very useful. You don´t need to "break" the contour feature.

Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->