Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

Hey fellow mapmakers,

Thought I'd share a new 3D birds-eye-view map I've been commissioned with from Mapformation client: Seneca White Deer, Inc. This property is a 10,000 acre former U.S. Army military storage depot in the Finger Lakes region of New York State at the little town of Romulus. It housed every type of weapons system and ammunitions in the U.S. arsenal from 1941 until the base decommission in 2000, including nuclear weapons in what is called the Q-Area. There are 519 ammunition and weapons storage igloo bunkers throughout the base. The most lethal weapons were stored in the upper left Q-Area which has three sets of razor wire and electrified fencing, plus had armed guards with shoot to kill orders.

The most amazing part is when this base was enclosed with over 24 miles of fencing it also imprisoned herds of brown deer. After several generations of breeding a dormant gene in the deer arose thus spawning what would eventually become the world's largest white deer herd. Our client has been trying to turn this abandoned base into a multi-use facility to not only preserve the beautiful and mysterious white deer but also the extensive wildlife and the honorable military history this base is associated with in helping win WWII. The illustration will be used as part of their master plan presentation. 

I first became aware of this base when I lived in that same county for a couple of years. I included the base as a scene setting in my 2009 mystery thriller novel Crown of Serpents and drew a simple map illustration for the book. It took me six months to get authorization but I had the pleasure of a one-hour personal tour with the chief-of-security of the base. So, I'm absolutely thrilled to have now been selected to illustrate a brand new color illustration of the Depot for further public exposure and a great cause. 

For more on the white deer visit: Seneca White Deer

Here are pics of the full base and a close up of the Q-Area looking south. Also are regional maps of where the base is located. About 1/2 way done so far with the illustration. There's a couple of white deer on the bottom and a few osprey and nests on the utility poles plus a beaver dam and beaver on the stream. Lots more wildlife to include. Note: for illustrative purposes I've exaggerated the size of the perimeter fencing to help delineate the property's borders from the surrounding farmland. 

Let me know what y'all think so far!

Best,

Michael Karpovage

Attached Files

• Mike Boruta likes this

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

The project is finished! Thought I'd share this link with you at mapformation where you can zoom in to see some of the detail..... 

SENECA ARMY DEPOT

I recommend viewing in full screen. Or download the PDF at this link as it's very large.

Was a fun illustration, especially adding in the wildlife like deer, fox, turkey, geese, osprey, beaver and some other details like a forklift, railroad cars, a fisherman, and even a hidden ghost in the Q-Area.

Best,

Michael

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Awesome work, as usual Michael. I spotted the fisherman and I think I saw the ghost as well. Details like that really make the map stand out.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

Thank you, Hans! You sir, have a great eye to spot the ghost hidden in the Q-Area. The client will be enlarging this illustration to poster size at 38" wide so all those fun details will be prevalent for the public to see when they do their presentations. 

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

Jon B Ball

Jon B Ball

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Canada

Finally - found the ghost! It's a lot of fun to look at this map... thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->