- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

aarrivas

aarrivas

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

So I'm producing a poster size 36-50'' zoning/land use map for a city planning department.  The standard required font used by the city is Calibri.  When I use this font in ArcMap 9.3 and attempt to export to PDF many of the text becomes distorted.  I have attempted exporting in various other formats such as .tiff and converting to PDF but the image then becomes very large, slow to load, and difficult to view.  The final format of this map needs to be in PDF and maintain a high resolution, and be under 20MB in size.  Any suggestions on exporting?

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • United States

what do you mean by distorted? Could you post a small picture? 

If you have Acrobat Pro installed on your machine, you might try printing to a PDF instead of exporting. 

Adam Wilbert

@awilbert
CartoGaia.com
Lynda.com author of "ArcGIS Essential Training"

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

It's a known problem.

http://forums.arcgis...r-ArcMap-Export

We are aware of this problem. Fonts with automatic ligatures, such as Calibri, Palatino, Linotype, Adobe Jensen Pro, and Myriad Pro, can fail to export certain character sequences to PDF, EPS, SVG, and AI (Illustrator) formats. Some of the failed sequences include 'ff', 'fl', 'fi', and 'Th'. The characters may fail to appear in the export file, and text following the character sequence may appear garbled. This problem occurs on Windows XP when regional settings are set for non-English text input, and occurs on all versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7. The nimbus tracking number for this is NIM012587. We have narrowed this to a Microsoft bug and we are actively working on a solution. I will post an update when a fix is available.

The problem was supposed to be fixed in 10.1, but I never checked since I stopped using calibri because of that. 

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I ran into this problem with a version of Frutiger and have since switched to Segoe.  I am glad to know they have figured out a solution and are addressing it in a software update.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

First time I try with Arc 10.1 and it didn't cause any problem with the letters Th, fi, fl. Seems to be fixed, at last...!?

• Jon B Ball likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->