4 replies to this topic

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

I have to do some comparisons between the DeLorme road data (which is a proprietary, paid-for dataset) and OSM road data (open, free). I have an extract of the OSM road data for Colorado but I don't have the DeLorme data. I need the best road data available, for the entire world, at a large scale. I need the most accuracy possible. Does anyone by chance have experience in comparing the two datasets? I imagine there are regional differences in quality and coverage. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if DeLorme is worth the expense, given that my project requires (and can pay for, if necessary) a high level of detail and accuracy. Thanks for any info you can provide!

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I do a lot of looking at streets in Colorado and New Mexico, and I find the Nokia/Navteq data most reliable of the online services.  However, I've never looked into the DeLorme data.  I've never actually licensed data from Nokia, but about three years ago I think we were quoted $1000 a county for some counties in the Chicago area.  Might be less for rural counties with far fewer roads, or there might be a bulk price for an entire state.

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

Thanks Dennis. I should have specified that, while my OSM data is for Colorado, I'm actually interested in comparing OSM world-wide with DeLorme world-wide. I'm just using a Colorado extract to test things at the moment.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

My question is whether there actually is an independent DeLorme dataset.  Isn't it likely that it has its origins in either Navteq/Nokia or TeleAtlas data?

In addition, DeLorme seems to only offer major transportation routes, which suggests numbered highways rather than everything down to local roads and streets.  Seems like a comparison looking at Colorado would be virtually identical for all data providers, and probably bears a strong resemblance to datasets that come straight from CDOT.  The differences would be in poor countries and remote areas, places where the OSM data comes from contributors on the ground rather than shapefile downloads.

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Rusty

Rusty

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

Delorme does have a roads dataset that is really good in rural areas. Exxonmobil Pipeline Co. has been using it for several years now if just for the fact that the other datasets are lacking  roads in small rural areas where our pipelines go thru...we get updates every two yrs. They do a great job whereas other companies we've compared have tons of "unknown" data. We also use XMap for the field...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->