• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Priestola

Priestola

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Hi,

I'm new to the GIS world and I'm currently working on a simple geocoding project.  I downloaded the 2011 Census Tiger address range shapefile and used it to create an address locator.  I'm having problems matching it to addresses on my table.  My table has fields such as block number, street name, post dir, and both prefix and suffix address.  From what I understand, I am to merge all the the address fields into one field, for example, 153 N Maint St.  When I try to geocode the addresses I only get about a 10 percent match rate.  Am I making a mistake by trying to use the "US Streets with City State ZIP" as the Address Locator Style.  Or is the mistake being made by how I'm naming the fields in the database table? 

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

What software are you using?

Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

katzmoye

katzmoye

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • United States

I think it depends on which locator you are using, and as frax above said, which software you are utilizing. If you are using the default ones that come with ArcGIS you should be able to match the separate fields in your table with the different address input fields in the geocode wizard. If you are still getting a really low match percentage you might want to take a closer look at a few records to see why they don't match. Could be something simple (but annoying) like having the number separate from the street (some locators like them concatenated, some like them separate, etc). There are also some decent tools in the Geocoding toolbox - like standardize address for example.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->