7 replies to this topic

snowgage

snowgage

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • United States

I am designing a map for a local trailhead kiosk that will show users where they are in relation to landmarks, others trails, hydro etc.  The scale of this map is about 1:15,000

I am working to generate some forests  using DEMs and Photoshop.   I've been playing around with this today and am generally happy with the results I've produced (attached gen.JPG).

I am a little unhappy with the way the higher elevation area are smooth.  These mountains are quite craggy and it would be cool to generate a representative texture for the alpine areas.  You can see the attached aerial.JPG which covers the same extent as my generated forest+hillshade image.   

Does anyone have any suggestions or examples for creating a good texture to use for these alpine areas?

Any other general thoughts on what I have created so far?

thanks in advance,

-j

Attached Files

• Attached File  gen.JPG   128.34KB   194 downloads
  • Attached File  aerial.JPG   271.69KB   195 downloads

snowgage

snowgage

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • United States

I've done a little more work on this map and am feeling better about the alpine areas.  I added some contours which help a lot.  Using some landcover data I created gradient masks in areas of the forest that are primarily sage/shrub or have more sparse trees.  Still a work in progress but I've been learning a lot about generating natural looking landcover.  Very fun stuff.  Now maybe some clouds or snow fields?

Attached Files

• Attached File  nb.JPG   83.21KB   147 downloads

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Just from you previous post I thought that was Sacagawea Peak in the Bridgers.  Then I saw Hardscrabble and knew I was right.  Just hiked it this past summer.

Don't have much to add about the map other then where is the loop trail from Fairy Lake, and make sure your streams follow your contour lines.

kru

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

bebe onea

bebe onea

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Romania

Hi,

Just take a look at this article written by Tom Petterson: http://www.shadedrel...lism/index.html

There are a lot of good stuff there.

have fun with the map and share the final with us please.

snowgage

snowgage

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • United States

Excellent.. I was looking for the Patterson article.  Thanks for the link.  

Good eye Razornole!  The reason you cannot see the Fairy Lake trail is because I just shared a little snippet.  I will post a full map once I am a little further along.  

Thanks,

j

snowgage

snowgage

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the great suggestions.  I think I have the physical part of this map close to being finished.  Now to add features and some more labels.  

Attached Files

Bryan Swindell

Bryan Swindell

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • United States

I've done a little more work on this map and am feeling better about the alpine areas.  I added some contours which help a lot.  Using some landcover data I created gradient masks in areas of the forest that are primarily sage/shrub or have more sparse trees.  Still a work in progress but I've been learning a lot about generating natural looking landcover.  Very fun stuff.  Now maybe some clouds or snow fields?

Looking good!  The bump-mapped timber turned out well.  For the bumps, did you use a classified land cover image or just create a random noise layer+emboss+shadow?

Looking forward to seeing this at the trailhead!

-B

snowgage

snowgage

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • United States

Looking good!  The bump-mapped timber turned out well.  For the bumps, did you use a classified land cover image or just create a random noise layer+emboss+shadow?

Looking forward to seeing this at the trailhead!

-B

Hey Brian!  I pulled out land cover classes from GAP, and then used those as masks for noise+layer+emobossing.

cheers,

j

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->