• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

mcallisterw

mcallisterw

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • United Kingdom

I've attached a couple of images with this forum to show what I'm talking about. I'm create maps of my home county, the mapping data is OS Vector Map district, freely available from the Ordnance Survey, with the topography and administrative labels based on OS Meridian 2 spot heights (also freely available). I have created the urban areas, settlement label points and geographic labels myself.

I'm using the Maplex labelling engine.

Although I have generally preferred curved labels for valleys, lakes etc. I decided that straight labels felt more appropriate for the districts (labelled in large pink letters). I'm also happy for the smaller districts' labels to appear outside the district boundary as with 'Barrow-in-Furness District' in the images below. It's just in keeping with the look and feel I want for the map.

However, while this is fine when the label extends over the sea, as in the first image, I don't want the label to extend over neighbouring district, as in the second image. Is there any way to prevent external labels from appearing over neighbouring features in the same class?

On a related note, while I'm happy for horizontal and diagonal district labels, I don't really want vertical ones like 'Copeland District', appearing on the left hand side of both images. Is there any way to avoid this.

Attached Files

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

You can try and increase the feature weight using Maplex.  

Though it does a pretty good job (for a computer), I don't think Maplex is going to give you perfect placement 100% of the time and you'll need to convert your labels to annotation to achieve your desired outcome.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->