7 replies to this topic

morad

morad

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • France

Can anybody tell me why we are so found of free data and stuffs in GIS, its not just a matter of saving money, I noticed that in our community we are particularly after free stuffs whereas in other industries people are more keen on spending money :)

any thoutghs?

here is some more new free stuffs, Gabon offers us Satellite Images for free on its new Geoportal, just click on this link to access it,   http://skytoearth.co...abon-geoportal/

thx

Morad

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Can anybody tell me why we are so found of free data and stuffs in GIS, its not just a matter of saving money, I noticed that in our community we are particularly after free stuffs whereas in other industries people are more keen on spending money :)

any thoutghs?

What do you think? Personally, I think everybody wants a "free lunch". So if there's an option to choose between something that's free and something that's not, and they're about as good, we'll all go for the free version, right?

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

morad

morad

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • France

The problem is that the free lunch will always be made with the cheapest product, because it costs money to prepare food of higher quality, and that's harmful for the body, so they cant be about as good even though they might look like, 

there must be something else, definitely,

maybe things that have a price today have no value

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Actually, there's some free GIS datasets out there, mainly the Natural Earth Vector that's in my opinion vastly superior to any comparable commercial source when it comes to data quality and reliability. All it takes is some dedication and a group of volunteers.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

There is also the longstanding idea/model (tradition even?) that some data, like stuff from the USGS, should be available to the public at no charge because we already pay for it through taxes. So it's not really "free", we pay for it collectively, "up front" (as they say).

Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

david17tym

david17tym

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • United Kingdom

There is also the longstanding idea/model (tradition even?) that some data, like stuff from the USGS, should be available to the public at no charge because we already pay for it through taxes. So it's not really "free", we pay for it collectively, "up front" (as they say).

Hey Dave,

Try putting that same logic to the Ordnance Survey...

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

I think part of the difference between the US and UK national mapping and "free data" is the origins of the two agencies. The Ordnance Survey got its start as an aid to military and defense. The US Geological Survey was more about getting information to help "develop" the country, maybe especially the west. Military secrecy vs. public information. The former is more concerned about not letting enemies get that information too readily. The latter is more about getting the information out (and possibly getting a greater return on investment in the form of taxes?).

That's my (possibly over-simplified) understanding anyway. :)

Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

There might also be more recent differences in culture:

OS under Thatcher: try to recover the costs

USGS under Reagan: don't spend any money

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GIS, Webmapping, Satellite Images, Gabon, Africa, Spot, Landsat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->