Photo

How the heck do i use the landuse layer in Tilemill? Need a bit of guidance please..

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

3danimator

3danimator

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi guys/gals

I'm using Tilemill to export shp layers from city files from planetOSM and i am a bit lost with the landuse layer.

I understand (i think) that it incorporates many layers like residential/farming etc...but im not sure how to only display on of those id's. I am interested in augmenting the sometimes lacking "buildings" layer by using the landuse=residential (and maybe others) to fill in the gaps so to speak. Unfortunately, i get completely lost almost instantly with language/syntaxing, so i really need absolute novice advice if possible.

Thanks for reading

Marc 

skorasaurus

skorasaurus

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • United States

Well,

tilemill controls the order in which this data is displayed (for example, amenities like churches), over landuses and how the data is styled.

Mapbox, the developers of Tilemill have great documents how to style the features, and the syntax that is used to style. Be sure to read them - this first - http://mapbox.com/ti...e/introduction/ and the DC-Streets project which should be included in your tilemill install.

Lastly, with OSM data, there may be many areas that do not have a landuse assigned to it, people may have simply not mapped that particular area to add a landuse tag.

3danimator

3danimator

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

Cool, ill have a read now. I assumed that not every city would have the data i wanted. There is just so much to learn with regards to OSM mapping, its very daunting and thats coming from a professional 3d animator

Thanks for your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->