Milan Metro and Suburban railways map

- - - - - metro suburban railways italy milano

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

kotokot

kotokot

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Information design, urban infrastuctures, Branding, UX and web design
  • Russian Federation

I have completely redesigned the Milan Metro Map. I have added the latest updates with line M5, a grid with alphabetic list of stations, airports, I have created a new set of pictograms and packed them into a symbol font. I have created a completely new style that does not copy any other transport map in the world.

This map now has it's own character, just like the city. The emphasis is put on the M lines however you can clearly understand how to use both M and S lines, how to get from point A to point B. The current official map just shows the S stations, it does not show to which line a station belongs.

I have excluded the regular railways (RFI) because they're not a metropolitan transport.

f71d02e07b3ca4b3fcb9492d0e1a32ac.jpg

I want to get some contructive feedback and I ask you to point me at all of my mistakes if there are any that I've missed. Thanks!

Download PDF (linked to Evernote):
Dark version, 1,6MB
Bright version, 873KB

If you like it you call also leave feedback on Behance

Thanks a lot!

-----------------------------

http://dmitrygoloub.com

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

It is indeed a unique look.  I like the skein of yarn winding from Garibaldi to Repubblica to Porta Venezia.

I think the typeface used is overly fussy and ornate, making it difficult to read in low-light or similar stressful conditions.  I'm also not sure it fits the character of the transport system or Milano as a city.  The Milano Metro was one of the pioneers in integrating station design, signage, typography, and mapping.

The chessboard background for the index numbers is distracting, especially with each square outlined by an even darker line.  Better, I think, to let the letters and numbers float free in a border, with no lines across the map.  Then use two different shadings to indicate the tariff zones, and eliminate the dashed line now used for that purpose.

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

kotokot

kotokot

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Information design, urban infrastuctures, Branding, UX and web design
  • Russian Federation

Dennis, thanks a lots for your feedback!

I've improved the map according to your comments. Here's a link (to Evernote). First of all I've swtiched to a more simple sans-serif (Museo Sans). However I did not eliminate the strokes completely because the leggibility of index decreased with it. I've lowered the contrast.

Also I've reworked the curves on S lines and the yellow M3 line and corrected some stations' positions. The metro automatico is now in the correct position (unlike the official ATM map).

Give me some more feedback please.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Looking much better.  I don't think there's a need for a line between the tariff zones.  Just the color difference is enough.

San Babila could be labeled below its dot, so it won't cross the red line.  The bus numbers could go above the dot.  Zara could go to the left of its dot, for the same reason.

You could handle the index lines with very thin white or light-colored lines.  So use a color about half the value of the outer tariff zone for the inner one, and use extremely thin white lines (behind the metro lines) for the index lines.  But truth to tell, I think a map like this has sparse enough content that the lines aren't needed at all.

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

kotokot

kotokot

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Russian Federation

Another update!

metro-di-milano-23.03.2013-600.jpg

I’ve followed your advices and made the map lighter, removed the stroke from the confines of urban tariff area. I’ve changed some stations positions, I’ve finally managed to make Montenapoleone name not to cross the yellow line and imho the center is now less cluttered. Also there were few mistakes in the index, which are now corrected.

http://dmitrygoloub.com/downloads/metropolitana-di-milano-22.03.2013-chiara-expanded.pdf

Looking forward to your feedback!

Thanks!

darcsaid

darcsaid

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • France

Very nice map, Dmitri

i love the second version, more simplified then first. I think that contrast between squares in behind (A1, B2, etc.) it's not so high and in stressful condition i guess it's impossible to see differences.

To me it's strange to see legend in two times, up and down the end of red line, on the left.

And some correction in italian language on your signature :)

"Mappa delle linee metropolitana e suburbana di Milano.

Orgogliosamente creata da Dmitriy Goloub

Si puo' usare e stampare liberamente, ma le modifiche sono vietate."

Anyway, хорошая работа ;)

dario

kotokot

kotokot

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Russian Federation

Dario, your arguments about the legend make sense.

Also thanks for corrections in italian.

As for the checkerboard, well, I've made contrast a little bit higher.

Here's a new version (2.2Mb PDF)

Thanks everybody for your feedback!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->