skorasaurus

skorasaurus

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • United States

About the Cleveland Photography Society Photo Scavenger Hunt 2012:
 During Daylight Savings Time in 2012, the Cleveland Photography Society conducted their inaugural Photo Scavenger Hunt. 125 objects in Downtown Cleveland were photographed. With a small image as the only hint, participants had to find the location and replicate the original photograph as much as possible.  

Viewable at: http://maps.jhfeichtnerfund.com/

Audience: Since the contest ended, this map helps participants provide an interactive way find out where each image was taken.

This map was made as a personal exercise to improve my map skills, particularly interactive slippy maps.

Made with: Tilemill, uses OpenStreetMap data.

Uses: Mapbox.js

As a participant, I found the Scavenger Hunt to be fun although very challenging. Some of the objects were only 1ft in size. My friend and I spent several summer nights cruising downtown on our bicycles. was also mapping out the locations as I found objects.

Technical aspects:

The basemap color scheme is a rough draft. The easily visible portion of the base map is the area where the Hunt was conducted. Since the audience is participants, I felt that anything outside the boundaries would be distracting and unecessary.

The most difficult part of the project was the interactivity. Previous to this, I had very little javascript experience and none with web mapping APIs.

One of the locations, #41, is not located on the map (it was outside the boundaries, located at a sponsor's front door). This required me to learn how to code so that hyperlinks would zoom to the corresponding marker, except for #41.

Feedback welcome.

Things that I haven't figured out yet, eager to hear back on:

- As of now, there is no opacity when user hovers of the link list ? Add or opacity or no ?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tilemill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->