Photo

Noob...wondering about a workflow with label edits in exporting an aerial base map to AI 5....?

- - - - - map labels workflow

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Muskie

Muskie

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

I am not new new to AI but -- I'm new enough.

I'd really like to be able to help the text labels in many of my ArcMap made maps...problem is: many of them have aerials behind them that make for some confusion in rasterizing.

Is there any way (without rubbernecking the aerial back in) to help this map layout (specifically the text). I don't need step - by - step instructions...but a general workflow would be really helpful if someone could point me to it...I'm sadly lost and confused when it comes to clipping masks and vector text work (but I've been trying really hard to get some ideas flowing -- like I know not to put a stroke and to use different fill colors for different label types).

Thank you so much!! Every bit of feedback helps!

Muskie

Muskie

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

I am a noob, but not a total noob. I really would like to understand
what a smart ArcMap to AI workflow looks like (particularly for labels).
I think even a general finger point would help me out....if you
could...

So basically: I am trying to wrap my head
around a feasible workflow for customizing the text labels (created in
ArcMap) for a number of aerial maps. I want to be able to export the
maps (which have an aerial base) into AI and work with label
transperancies and fonts.

I got the gist of what I need to do for export (i.e. labels should have no stroke, use specific fills for different label groups)...but
the difficulty seems to be in NOT rasterizing the map layers (due to
the aerial). Is my only hope to export the map without the aerial and
rubberneck it back in??

Could anybody advise...maybe point me towards a good workflow?

Here is a sample of one of my common products. I know it isn't very
exciting. My goal is to try to improve it...and many others if possible. Any advice (from layout to labels would be appreciated)!

Attached Files

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I work with an ArcMap to Illustrator workflow. I keep the styling in ArcMap at the very minimum, no transparencies or anything. All rasters are exported separately and taken into Photoshop for later placing into Illustrator. It can be a bit tricky to get them to line up, but it helps if one creates a shapefile with the outline of the raster/imagery.

For the vectors, I set export resolution to 30000 dpi (ridiculously high to avoid any simplification in the export process, this ensures that the vectors are exported at the resolution of the data).

Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Muskie

Muskie

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

I work with an ArcMap to Illustrator workflow. I keep the styling in ArcMap at the very minimum, no transparencies or anything. All rasters are exported separately and taken into Photoshop for later placing into Illustrator. It can be a bit tricky to get them to line up, but it helps if one creates a shapefile with the outline of the raster/imagery.

For the vectors, I set export resolution to 30000 dpi (ridiculously high to avoid any simplification in the export process, this ensures that the vectors are exported at the resolution of the data).

Hi! Thanks.

I'm sorry to do this...but the specifics are eluding me...

What do you mean by "export a shapfile with the outline of the raster/imagery"?

I have this map as a sample. There are two tiles (not mosaic) that made this image. All the layout is in Arcmap right now -- and I was hoping to export it as is to AI (and maybe customize the layout more there). What would you do -- particularly with the aerial? Could you explain...
?

Attached Files

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

It depends of the "qualilty" you need. 

You can export all the vector to work on them in AI and then export the same map, with only the raster layer (at 600 dpi or at a resolution high enough) in TIF for example and place it behind your map composition in AI. It will line up perfectly.

I thinkl Hugo means that you can create a shapefile of the extent of your raster and use it once exported in AI to "georeference" your raster layer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: map, labels, workflow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->