Photo

Automating the tracing of Twp, Range, Sec, Description /PLSS data in ArcMap?

- - - - - PLSS Twp Range Sec Lease Parcels Automation ArcMap

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

gostermayer

gostermayer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

I'm just wondering if there is a way to automate the tracing of PLSS parcels in ArcMap.  I am digitizing oil and gas leases based on Twp, Range, Section, and Descriptions (for a very large area).  For example:  20N 17E 36 Lots 1, 2, 3, 4, N2, N2S2.  Another example would be 18N 20E 36 W2NW4, NE4NE4, S2NE4.  This data is only available in text form.  Rather than hand-tracing these parcels using Cadastral layers in ArcMap, is there a script or a program or a Toolbox that would automate the digitizing of this info in ArcMap?  A tool/program that would also allow for the addition of attribute data?

I have come across expensive programs, such as those made by TractBuilder (http://www.tractbuil...uartering-tool/), but I was wondering if there is a less expensive (preferably free) tool or program out there that anyone is aware of.  (I'm just a grad student...)

Thanks for your help!

SteveR

SteveR

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United States

http://www.geocommun...Map/MapLSIS.jsp

Public lands survey data is available as shape files from the above link, maybe in other formats too.  Last time I used the data you had to download entire counties.

Steve Richardson

2i3D Stereo Imaging

gostermayer

gostermayer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Thanks, Steve.

Yes, I am aware of PLSS data.  What I'm trying to do, though, is automate the tracing of those parcels from Twp, Range, Section, and Descriptions...or do an automated query selection that would allow me to extract just those parcels from the PLSS data layer.  Any thoughts or suggestions on how to do that?

Thanks!

IlliniBone

IlliniBone

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

I use Tract Builder at work, it's great but I do understand not wanting to pay for it. Is this a one time thing? They do have free 1 week trials that you could use to finish a project.

It's real easy to use, just enter the data in an Excel spreadsheet, and map the data with the Auto Quartering Tool. You can also do them individually with the quartering tool.

As for finding something free, I have never found anything. You could try calling the ESRI support line and ask if they have any recommendations.

Feel free to email me at abohnhoff@diamondnd.com if you have anymore questions.

Andy

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Substantially beyond my area of expertise, but I wonder if you could use a simple Python script to parse the aliquot divisions and then generate an XY coordinate "dot" (based on the PLSS data) that would fall within the parcel.  Then you'd spatially join the parcels to dots that have the same lease number.  Of course, you'd also want the Python script to flag the entries where the dot can't be calculated or where something else has gone wrong.

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PLSS, Twp Range Sec, Lease Parcels, Automation, ArcMap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->