Photo

OS equivalents for Japan? Newbie needs help........

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Chanpuru

Chanpuru

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi everyone.

Forgive my shocking ignorance of cartography but I'm looking to find out what the Japanese equivalent is of the British Ordnance Survey map. I've recently had a reason to pick up an OS Explorer map for part of the UK and would ideally like to pick up as close an equivalent as possible for an area of Japan called Okinawa (it's a little island to the South West of the mainland). 

As expected I have done a bit of googling (including the GSI webpage which seemed to be on the right track) but what I found there left me more confused rather than less, regarding Okinawa.

Anyone who can provide some clarity will be worshipped like a god   :)

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Anyone who can provide some clarity will be worshipped like a god   :)

Too good to pass up :)

The Japanese national mapping agency is called the "Geospatial Information Authority". I think that would be a good place to start looking.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Chanpuru

Chanpuru

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

Yeah as I said I've checked out their webpage but for me it's as clear as mud what the equivalent type of map is out of their range. Is an OS Explorer map a topographical map, a land use map, a composite map, a land condition map. This terminology means nothing to me but is littered throughout the GSI webpage but not throughout the OS.

I'm guessing it's topographical 1:25,000 (that's a guess).....but I then also have the added fun of trying to determine if there is any English on these maps or are they exclusively in Japanese (Kanji etc). The topographical doesn't seem to specify on this list unlike some of the other maps. But I'll ask them that directly once I know what map I need.

http://www.gsi.go.jp...age_e30032.html

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

This page has some samples. I'd say either the topographic or the land-use maps come closest to what the OS is doing, but the styles are very different.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

IainS

IainS

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Australia

The problem will be that it will all be in Japanese; both the instructions and the maps - if you read Japanese fine but if you dont (like me) it can be difficult. My experience of the mainland  (where I am doing some heritage work) is that detailed and quality maps are available because I have seen them but I have not had much luck in working out how to get them as all the information is in Japanese.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->