5 replies to this topic

Steve Crow

Steve Crow

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi

I posted both the topo map and the shaded relief on this forum a few months ago.  I've combined the two and added a bathymetric tint.

This is by no means finished - I've got lots of little details to sort out.

I'm looking for feedback/criticism about the general look of the map and how its different elements work together.

Things like, is the shaded relief too heavy handed or, the choice of colours for the bathymetric tint?

And of course, anything else you'd like to point out.

I realise that many details aren't visible with a JPEG of this size but I can post a small detail close-up.

Thank you for the input from the previous postings.

Steve

Attached Files

• Attached File  J03.jpg   230.68KB   261 downloads

david17tym

david17tym

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi Steve,

Hillshade is spot on for me, it picks out the cliffs beautifully on the southern edge of the island.

What I don't like is the apparent difference in detail between the bathy and the rest of the map.

I can sympathise about trying to find detailed bathy data at these scales, what source did you use?

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Well done.  This map is fun to look at.  Wish that I had one like this to use of the island I visited, Paros.  I might try to get the title out of the legend.  An inset locator map would be useful.  Still not sure where this island is located.  I would try to figure out a way to get the smaller island to stand out more.  They are kinda lost if they are not labeled.

A more detailed bathy may be helpful for those who snorkel, scuba, or are visiting the island via ship/boat.

Nice work in progress,

kru

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Steve Crow

Steve Crow

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United Kingdom

Thank you for your comments on the hillshading.  After spending so much time on the shaded relief, the temptation is there to lay it on a bit thick.

The bathy contours were taken from the original Greek basemap - I have not been able to find more detailed data.  Any suggestions?  The original map also has "spot depths" which I suppose I could add.

A locator map is the next project.  I am going to place it in a panel on one side of the map along with a gazetteer and other information.  The whole thing will then print onto an A2 landscape sheet.

The Island is located just to the south of Crete - in fact it's the southernmost point of Europe.

Cheers

Steve

clickinaway

clickinaway

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • No Country Selected

Thank you for your comments on the hillshading.  After spending so much time on the shaded relief, the temptation is there to lay it on a bit thick.

The bathy contours were taken from the original Greek basemap - I have not been able to find more detailed data.  Any suggestions?  The original map also has "spot depths" which I suppose I could add.

A locator map is the next project.  I am going to place it in a panel on one side of the map along with a gazetteer and other information.  The whole thing will then print onto an A2 landscape sheet.

The Island is located just to the south of Crete - in fact it's the southernmost point of Europe.

Cheers

Steve

I really like this map and I don't think the hill shade is over done, but i do agree from the other poster that the bathy is in contrast to the terrain detail...my question is this then: in lieu of good data, why not simply add more graduations to the bathymetric effect, or possibly opt for something like a vignette?  Are there major ferry routes or major harbors that should be identified? It's truely a beautiful map.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

It's very handsome work, and I think of the bathymetry as decorative, so I think it's fine.

I would like to see a distinction between natural features and placenames.  I think I'd put the former placenames in a serif face and then use italics to represent natural features, but it could work the other way round.  And I don't like letterspaced mixed-case type, so anything big enough to letterspace I'd put in all caps.

Finally, I'm not sure I understand the graticule.  Unless it's for military use, I'd think something showing decimal lat-long would better meet the GPS/satnav needs of tourists.

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->