4 replies to this topic

northlandiguana

northlandiguana

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

railroads_web_small.png

High-res version here.

The United States once had the most advanced, state-of-the-art passenger rail system in the world, with more railroad mileage than every other country combined. Efficient intraurban streetcar systems connected with intercity passenger rail. Giant railroad corporations competed—and often colluded—to provide cross-country transportation for all who could afford it. Along some routes, such as Chicago and North Western’s "400 Line," rail reached higher speeds and shorter travel times than interstate car travel today. The epic decline of U.S. rail was brought on by a combination of the post-WWII boom in car production, advancements in air travel, massive Federal investments in highway and airport infrastructure, and the conspiratorial destruction of streetcar systems by General Motors.

Today, we face a rapidly changing climate due to the burning of fossil fuels. Cars, trucks, and airplanes are major sources of carbon emissions. Over 250 million passenger vehicles clog American roads, causing elevated levels of anxiety and stress. The number of vehicle-miles traveled by U.S. drivers increased 34% between 1990 and 2010, while gas prices soared and fuel efficiency stagnated. In contrast, Europe, Japan, and China have made large investments in high-speed rail, trains that now travel up to 268 miles per hour in routine service. China built over 9,300 km of HSR in less than six years. California, on the leading edge in the U.S., may have a 300-mile HSR segment operational by 2022.

This poster tells the story of a potential transportation future in which the United States could regain mass transit leadership. This time, the goal should be displacing our need for fossil fuels rather than creating robber barons. If we are to leave our grandchildren a world that is neither an oven planet nor a return to the stone age, we should be envisioning how we can transport people from one place to another quickly, pleasantly, safely, and without the burning of carbon.

The map and graphics were designed in Adobe Illustrator. Railroads data were sourced from a combination of the U.S. Census and Natural Earth. The data sources were inconsistent with one another in many places, largely owing to the massive length of track of which many segments have been abandoned. I cleaned and generalized the Natural Earth data, added existing lines that were missing based on the more complete but less consolidated Census data, and visually vetted the results using a custom Google Maps API basemap specially styled to highlight railroads and Google’s aerial imagery. Other geography data came from Natural Earth. Chart data came from a variety of reports cited on the poster. Charts were created first in Microsoft Excel, then imported and styled in Adobe Illustrator. The primary font for the poster, Broadway, was selected to match an overall Art Deco Modern style reminiscent of the heyday of American rail. Map labels are in Arial font. The overall layout was inspired by photographs of a huge ceramic tile map mural that was located in the concourse of Cincinnati Union Terminal, sadly demolished in 1973.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Very nice, but I am having a hard time reading the text. The font you're using is great for titles, but on the big blocks of text you may want to consider going with a more traditional one.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

I enjoyed looking at this map.  Agree with Hans, Broadway is difficult to read, and it doesn't have a large family to work with.  I know that you emulated a older map, but the mood that the colors covey to me is alarming.  Maybe your intent?

Your map captured my attention and I did spend the time to read the information.  Well done,

kru

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Yeah, Broadway is a display face, which should be doled out with an eyedropper.  And it seems very odd to then just throw in the towel and use Arial on the map, rather than something like Trade Gothic.

Also, I'm sorry to hear you repeat the hoary old nonsense about GM/NCL and streetcars, but that might be a topic for another forum.

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

skorasaurus

skorasaurus

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • United States

Thanks for sharing !

Likewise, Broadway really fits in with that time and evokes the 1940s for me, but I found the text really difficult to read.

Dennis, interesting post on GM/rail, reading it now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->