7 replies to this topic

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Every once and a while the map I'm working on is stripped down to plain lines and text where all the styles and strokes are removed. This happens when I press Esc key, which I press all the time to get out of edit mode. Only every 500 or so Esc hits everything goas blank. Redu does nothing. I have to shot down CS and open the file again, loosing sometimes an hour of work since my last save. I'm attaching a screen shot to show what I get when this thing happen. How do I get my styles back?

Posted Image

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Display - Preview (CTRL-Y on Windows)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

I'm not sure what you mean... I toggle between outline and preview modes, but that doesn't actually remove styles, it just displays the bare bones vector work.

Save often, Save often, Save often, Repeat.

The other thing I try to do everyday is whenever I begin work on a project file, I do a "save as" and put a v3 after the file name (or whatever version it is, may be up to v56 or so). If space is a problem archive the old versions on CD/DVD.

Every so often I'll open a project and it will state "FILE CORRUPTED_CANNOT OPEN" and at that point you either smile and open yesterdays version, or take the day off to drown your sorrows at the corner pub.

m.
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

View > Outline/Preview is where you want to switch between views. (or control-y like Hans posted)

I have found that on overly complicated maps (with LOTS of symbols, lines, text, etc) it will go into outline mode (vs preview mode). Mainly these files are over 50mb in size. this will happen alot if your computer hardware specs are a little slow. i have run into this problem with my old computer (a PentiumII!), but i've never run into the problem with newer computers.

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Thanks guys for the quick responce. This happens only in large files where I double click on any text to edit it and quickly hit Esc key to get out. If I do that 2-3 time in the row the display goes into Preview mode. I tried doing this in CS and only CS2 does that. The Outline/previe fixes the problem. Thank you very much, you guys are the best.

The machine is:

Pentium 4 3.6Ghz
4Gb ram
GeForce Quadro 1100 running on 21" IBM Flat Panel.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

That is a very strange response from Illustrator. I just checked it out on my Mac and was able to reproduce it after awhile of double-clicking text then hitting the esc key.

It was spotty until I figured out that I could re-produce the effect consistently by double-pressing the esc key.

The only other time I have seen documents go into "outline" mode is when I have been RAM challenged.

There is one other weird feature of AI that freaked me out for a bit, and it can be a fun trick to play on a co-worker. Go up to their machine and hit CTRL-H.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

That is a very strange response from Illustrator.  I just checked it out on my Mac and was able to reproduce it after awhile of double-clicking text then hitting the esc key. 

It was spotty until I figured out that I could re-produce the effect consistently by double-pressing the esc key.

The only other time I have seen documents go into "outline" mode is when I have been RAM challenged.

There is one other weird feature of AI that freaked me out for a bit, and it can be a fun trick to play on a co-worker.  Go up to their machine and hit CTRL-H.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, interesting, i tried this just now and I reproduced the problem. I did it a few more times and my Illustrator CS2 actually crashed.

pantone801

pantone801

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Design, Cartography, Fonts, Colour, Symbolisation
  • Australia

I get this too- when working with a large file.

What I think causes it it while Illustrator is re-drawing the screen and you hit escape, you are telling illustrator to stop redering the vector artwork, and it displays it in wireframe mode (CMD+Y).

The easy fix is to wait until Illustrator has stopped drawing the screen before hitting the esc key, and if you happen to do this use CMD+Y to swith to rendered mode form wireframe mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->