10 replies to this topic

supercooper

supercooper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • United States

Here's a simple (hopefully) map of driving directions to get out of town visitors from the airport to our office. I tried to keep it as simple as possible. It's pretty much complete, except I want to edit some of the lines on the interchange in the inset map so they don't look so choppy. The basemap (roads, railroads, scalebars, inset map) was done in ArcGIS, then exported to Illustrator, where most of the work was really done. Final print size will be on 8.5 x 11, with written, MapQuest-esqe driving directions below the map. Any input is appreciated.

chad!

Attached File  xna_to_fayettevile_letter2.jpg   307.17KB   441 downloads

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I would remove the lowest class of roads in all but the inset map. They don't really serve a navigational purpose (except perhaps on the stretch from the airport to the interstate). Apart from that, nice map. The MapQuest idea is definately a good one, as it will appear familiar to many people.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Chad,

I would suggest the following:

Get rid of the rail line. It is not important in this context.

Make the grey segments leading from the airport and to your office (local roads) more prominent, they dissapear against the lavender road.

You might want to get rid of most local roads on the main map since they are not useful for your audience.

Make exit numbers a bit larger.

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

Chad,

nice map! I like showing the full context of all the roads - I don't find them distracting for this map. I agree w/ Martin that RR can go away on both maps, and the exit numbers need to be easier to read.

What I question is the middle classification of roads that are in a thicker grey line but carry no name/route info. For example, the one at exit 69 makes sense, but the east-west roads above Springdale aren't helpful. I'd classify them as minor routes.

But even 'as is' , it's much better than the average office locator map!

m.
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

supercooper

supercooper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • United States

Gents...thanks....all good things to note. The RR will definitely go, you're right that it serves no purpose here. And herm, I agree about the thicker grey lines, those will go to minor roads. However, my reason for including the minor roads is to shows the "populated" areas, since our airport is out in the middle of nowhere. Seriously, when people fly in, they are amazed that they are landing in a pasture and practically landing on cows. What about greying them out just a little bit more instead of doing away with them altogether on the main map?

Also, you shoulda seen the hideous 20-year old maps they were giving out..I was appauled and took this task on immediately on my own....

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Not in any way to criticize your work, but just to show another approach:

I often think it's better for a map of this type to show the few necessary lines rather than take out all the unnecessary ones.

Attached Files

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Chad,

You might want to consider using different shadings in the background for urban/populated areas vs. rural/open.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Yes, urban vs open/farmland would be nice touch.

Muted colors with jusgt right touch of contrast of route is where I would aim.

Keep us updated on revisions supercooper.

Chris

supercooper

supercooper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • United States

Ok, all.....here is the latest revision. I took the advice of several of you and did the following:

RR tracks gone
Minor streets on main map gone
Added green for rural, grey for urban, still not too sure about this though...
Major roads without road shields on main map are now gone

I think that overall, it has definitely simplified the map and made it easier to read.

Any additional comments would be greatly appreciated.Attached File  xna_to_fayettevile_letter3.jpg   202.24KB   300 downloads

Pete Y.

Pete Y.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • United States

I prefer the original. The minor road network is not too prominent to be distracting, and just prominent enough to actually be a bit useful if one gets lost. I also think the minor roads, as you displayed them, conveyed the urban/rural distinction very well without any actual area shading.

You might consider a scheme in which only the roads that are to be used get any saturated color, while the others of the same class are desaturated by some amount (50%?).

I like the other adjustments you made, but in terms of overall design I think the original was more effective.

Pete

Lactrodectes

Lactrodectes

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:MAPS FLASH WEB DESIGN STRATEGY GAMES SHOPPING AND STUFF<br /><br />oh, and did I mention Maps?
  • South Africa

Great simple map. Although I'd rotate the image a tiny bit to the left (and obviously amend the North symbol) because the only thing bugging me is that it is a little bit lopsided.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->