• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • New Zealand

First posting in this forum I think—usually the jobs are too quick to chase feedback.

Anyway this is a job that is just beginning—am only doing initial layout, concept and general style work at this stage for the client to seek funding on the project to move forward. Still lots missing but gives a good idea of where the map will be heading—scale, disclaimers etc.

Pretty self explanatory—a visitor's map of Lantau Island in Hong Kong. Front is 1:35,000. All the enlargements on the back will be 1:12,000 except the airport which will be at 1:20,000.

Data was purchased by the client from the Hong Kong Map Service and is in some cases not ideal—is actual final map data from a 1:20,000 map series they produce. Roads are not centrelines but roadsides, many features are broken fro other features such as contour lines. Other features such as slope hatches are actually drawn rather than being a line that can then be symbolised.

I'm going to supplement with OSM data to obtain road centrelines for labelling. Poss. also for other uses (particularly labelling) once I get into the more involved carto.

I am now to hand my layout over to another party and only the maps will be down to me but will post updates here as they happen.

8427349113_e7012c71c8_n.jpg
Lantau Island Visitor's Map—Front by Unit Seven, on Flickr

8427348977_9385644087_n.jpg
Lantau Island Visitor's Map—Back by Unit Seven, on Flickr

S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

cartdeco

cartdeco

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Australia

Really nice work, Sam. Nice detail in the hill shade.

Cheers,

Craig Molyneux
Spatial Vision
www.spatialvision.com.au
www.svmaps.com.au
craig.molyneux@spatialvision.com.au

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • New Zealand

Really nice work, Sam. Nice detail in the hill shade.

Cheers,

Thanks Craig,

Carto still need's a lot of work but am pretty happy with layout and balance. Front is verging on a little cramped but the clinet is about fitting lots of info in—now we have the large tan panels hopefully I can convince the layout person to move some of the info in the sea off to there.

The hillshade, well the DEM that made it, was done using Arc's Topo to raster tool which does a nice job of taking into account hydro lines and lake polygons once you have them all pointing downhill—before that they really mess up the resulting DEM.

S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->