Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

Accidentally strike a nerve today? :huh:

#1. Nobody here has called YOU an activist.

#2. Nobody here has said that YOU were coming at this issue with "vigor, anger and emotion", so seriousness/sarcasm/??? related to your words is irrelevant to my original point. Relaying those sentiments from other organizations? No comment. ;) However, like I have said before, I admire your passion for this issue (and environmental issues), so if you can help get a few more people here in the states to educate themselves on the issue...AWESOME.

#3. You've implied about 3-4 times now (in this thread) how all of us Americans must be uneducated related to this issue, as you would hope that Canadians wouldn't be as "ignorant" (my words, but I think your meaning) if your government were pushing similar legislation. Another common Democratic "marketing technique" (at least here in the states)...shaming or belittling other people into somehow supporting one's cause and/or views. Notice though how successful that strategy has worked for the Democratic Party here in the United States since the 1998-2000 elections......

I have eight years of economics classes under my belt (though I am admittedly MUCH better in my understanding of impacts on a "micro" vs. "macro" level). I built the online interface for the first online distance learning program in the United States (Bethel Theological Seminary) back in the early 1990s....and have been building web sites since before the 'net had graphics. I participate in literally 30-40 online discussion groups related to map, "tech" and web technologies on a daily basis (part of the reason why I end up working until 2-3am every evening). I've helped start three businesses that made HEAVY use of internet technology beyond simply having a web site as another form of advertising (two of my own, one of which failed, one of which is going strong). I've taught marketing/economics/web/graphics workshops and classes off-and-on for the past 5+ years. Etc., etc., etc.

My opinion on this issue is similar to what Rob has been saying about "the sky not falling." Do I want the U.S. government to stomp all-over Net Neutrality? Absolutely not! Do I think that "THE TRUTH" on this issue lies somewhere between what the telecoms are trying to communicate and what groups like savetheinternet.com are trying to relay? Absolutely....though I DO personally believe "THE TRUTH" lies closer to savetheinternet.com.

That said, REGARDLESS of what the U.S. government does related to this issue, I don't see the doomsday scenario that some folks are using to scare-up support for their particular organizations/causes, because:

A. The internet is bigger than ANY government...and no amount of legislation passed in the United States (or any other country) can change that. Add-in several more speed-bumps? Sure. "Kill the internet"?! It's FAR too late for anyone to remotely hope of accomplishing that.

B. I have faith in industry....and the intelligence and innovative abilities of our nation's (and our world's) entrepreneurs. If there is a good idea out there that will allow folks with talent and BIG hearts to "stick it to The Man" (telecoms, Microsoft, etc.), it'll get done. As a "cousin" to those individuals, there is also a LOT of money to be made in developing alternative forms of internet infrastructure/communication....and where there is money to be made, you'll have hundreds/thousands of individuals lining up, looking for a better way to build a mousetrap. ;)

C. "The Truth" NEVER lies with the far-left or far-right on A-N-Y issue! Rather, the truth ALWAYS lies somewhere in between. Being a "moderate" does NOT mean being "uneducated" or "indifferent" related to issues of __________. Rather, it means that someone isn't going to sign some petition for any group/cause until they've done a little homework and investigated BOTH sides of the issue.

D. Telecoms SHOULD be able to profit from their infrastructure, as well as cover their costs for an ever-increasing demand being placed upon that infrastructure! The United States already has numerous laws which prohibit any-number of predatory pricing practices and/or monopolies/monopolistic competition...as well as laws which prohibit the freedom of speech. If the telecoms break any of those existing laws, there will be consequences....in the Legislative and Judicial Branches of government, as well as in the marketplace via people voting with their wallets.

Anyway, enough of a long-winded reply from Yours Truly! :P I just had to respond, as your last message seemed to be taking a different, more "personal" tone....and I didn't want you to think that any of my previous comments were directed at YOU, but rather some of the sources of information you are conveying.

YOU? B)

Telecoms, "Propagandists" (on both sides of the issue), etc? :angry:
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

EcoGraphic

EcoGraphic

Master Contributor

• Links Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:landscape architecture,cartography,information architecture,wayfinding,landscape archaeology,cultural landscapes,sustainable design,visual journalism,travel writing,photography,illustration,languages
  • Canada

New articles in the Net Neutrality debate:

MIT Technology Review
Dot Coms Take Net Neutrality Beating

NewsForge
Today's cell phone system argues for retaining network neutrality

London Times
Net Neutrality: A tale of two internets

Telecom Direct News
AT&T, Qwest Ask FCC For Broadband Freedom

Bloomberg.com
AT&T, Comcast Rout Google, Microsoft in `Net Neutrality' Battle

CNet
Perspective: Net Neutrality or Net Censorship

Information Week
Net Neutrality: The Frenzied Search For The Perfect Metaphor

The Daily Iowan
Net-neutrality debate stirs strong emotions

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Article written by Barry Orton, a professor of telecommunications at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
Internet Speed must not be based on ability to pay

FreePress
Comcast: A Gatekeeper with a Heavy Hand?
Gillian Auld
EcoGraphic Design
www.EcoGraphic.ca

Design is the intermediary between information and understanding
Richard Grefe

EcoGraphic

EcoGraphic

Master Contributor

• Links Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:landscape architecture,cartography,information architecture,wayfinding,landscape archaeology,cultural landscapes,sustainable design,visual journalism,travel writing,photography,illustration,languages
  • Canada

Deep Packet Inspection Technology
This page contains an exceptionally long list of links to industry white papers which encourage the use of Deep Packet Inspection Technology to increase profits for telecom companies by monitoring and routing traffic on the net.

Industry White Papers Reveal Corporate Plans for the Broadband Internet

CRN
Peering Deeply into Network Traffic

Cisco
Deploying Premium Services Using CISCO Service Control Technology

Quote from the above article:

Accurate Analysis and Control of New Multimedia Traffic
The Cisco Service Control solution is the only solution capable of performing application-layer (Layer 7) stateful deep packet inspection of RTSP traffic going over its control channel and associating it with the traffic for all of its audio and video channels. This unmatched capability helps enable Cisco service applications to accurately analyze and control multimedia traffic regardless of its network origin and correctly charge for traffic. Mobile service providers who have already deployed the Cisco Service Control solution can deliver and charge for multimedia services without compromising profits.
With Cisco Service Control technology, premium IP services can be managed, controlled, and delivered on a converged IP network capable of meeting the needs of individual service providers to astutely analyze usage by subscriber, classify and guarantee application-level performance, and meter and charge for any number of IP applications. The resulting profitability closes the gap between vision and reality.

BUSINESS BENEFITS
Cisco Service Control technology allows operators to:

- Increase ARPU by customizing services to meet individual subscriber needs

- Effectively converge network deployments and operations

- Make a small incremental investment for existing networks and use overall network investment for new premium service delivery

- Reduce operating costs and capital investment by using a single network for multiple IP services

- Test and trial new offerings without additional investment, to better amortize infrastructure costs across a multitude of service offerings

- Meet the demands of latency- and jitter-sensitive applications such as VoIP and VoD

- Increase overall customer satisfaction and reduce turnover by offering truly differentiated or customized service offerings

Posted Image
Gillian Auld
EcoGraphic Design
www.EcoGraphic.ca

Richard Grefe

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

I've finally found what I believe is a reasoned explanation. I won't post the text here, just the link.

http://news.com.com/...8915&start=-193

EcoGraphic

EcoGraphic

Master Contributor

• Links Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Canada

Interview of Vint Cerf, Google's Chief Internet Evangelist, on Net neutrality:

Vint Cerf on Net Neutrality Video
Gillian Auld
EcoGraphic Design
www.EcoGraphic.ca

Richard Grefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->