• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

AaronP

AaronP

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United States

The attached graphic depicts the magnitude per unit area  of seedlings in forest openings.  The intended target for this graphic is a peer review journal such as Ecological Modelling where I intend to add the map as a figure to support my research.  I would appreciate any advice on how to make the figure more presentable for a scientific audience.  I should note that I plan to add specific details about the graphic (e.g. sample size per gap) as figure text.  Thank you in advance for your comments.

Attached File  RedWhitePine2.jpg   117.06KB   123 downloads

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

What are the main messages that you want to communicate with this graphic - that should always be the starting point. Without any context, it is hard to give you tips. I assume that the directions in the polar diagrams are compass directions, right?

Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

AndrewM

AndrewM

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United Kingdom

I think the figure itself looks pretty clear. A couple of comments on the legend though; your category boundaries seem quite arbitrary and also 3 decimal places seems like quite a lot of precision given the number ranges you're using. Could you adjust your classifications to more rounded numbers e.g. 0.00-0.06, 0.06-0.12 etc or even better 0.05-0.10 etc? The values you're using may be significant in your work, but otherwise I think it would make it easier for your readers to take in at a glance.

Failing that I would at least change your first two ranges in the top diagram to 0-0.062 and 0.063-0.125 to give them the same number of dps as the other categories. Also, this is just a personal preference, but I think m2 looks nicer than m^2 in the legend text.

Other than that it all looks pretty clear and well laid out to me. Hope that helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->