• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

ramar2

ramar2

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

I want to learn how to create maps for my blogs also to do National Geographic type maps and I was wondering what type of software you would recommend.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

What that be thematic maps or topographic maps?

Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

ramar2

ramar2

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

What that be thematic maps or topographic maps?

Well I guess thematic one for the blog. I want to show the development of Rome, I mean the increase in size as the Empire conquered more territory.. And a cartographic map for the island of Hawaii.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Sweden

You may get in over your head! You will need specialized software and data for this. Do you have access to graphic design software - like Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Photoshop. One approach would be to just wing it using those and trace from existing images.

To do it 'properly' you will need software to handle geographic data. The most popular free/open source alternative now is Quantum GIS (QGIS). There should be plenty of options for tutorials and books, and there might even be training available in your area.

For data - when you mention Rome and development - are you thinking historical development, and what time span? Historic data is tricky! Present day data that is free can be taken from Open Street Map, but it might be tricky to handle the amount for a city of that size and select what you need.

Hawaii might be easier - see how far you get with the Natural Earth dataset at it's highest resolution.

Sorry - I am too lazy to add links to this post, but it should be extremely easy to use your favorite search engine to find these!

Hugo Ahlenius
Twitter

ramar2

ramar2

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

You may get in over your head! You will need specialized software and data for this. Do you have access to graphic design software - like Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Photoshop. One approach would be to just wing it using those and trace from existing images.

To do it 'properly' you will need software to handle geographic data. The most popular free/open source alternative now is Quantum GIS (QGIS). There should be plenty of options for tutorials and books, and there might even be training available in your area.

For data - when you mention Rome and development - are you thinking historical development, and what time span? Historic data is tricky! Present day data that is free can be taken from Open Street Map, but it might be tricky to handle the amount for a city of that size and select what you need.

Hawaii might be easier - see how far you get with the Natural Earth dataset at it's highest resolution.

Sorry - I am too lazy to add links to this post, but it should be extremely easy to use your favorite search engine to find these!

Thanks. What about Mapmaker?  I have a long way to go. Thanks again for info.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Sweden

Google Map Maker? I noticed that there was another software called Mapmaker too - don't know about that one.

Hugo Ahlenius
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->