4 replies to this topic

Steven Gordon

Steven Gordon

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • United States

I'm writing tutorials on some of Illustrator's newer tools for my blog.

The tool I'm focused on is the Shape Builder. It allows you to create and color the blank areas that exist between lines. I've used it when I had data for linear features like streets and highways but no data for areas between or across streets (like parks, downtown tourism zones).

Does anyone use the Shape Builder tool? If so, in what cartographic situations do you use it?

Steven Gordon
Cartagram, LLC

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Spain

I was excited about the Shape Builder tool at first, but I find myself going back to the Pathfinder panel most often. I think that's because I usually want to unite, divide, etc. using all the selected objects, and doing that with the Shape Builder tool can be slower when small features are involved.

Nice-looking blog. I'm looking forward to reading how you use the Shape Builder tool.

Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

Steven Gordon

Steven Gordon

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • United States

That's a good perspective on this tool.

A challenge in writing about applying a tool to a cartographic problem is that I get enthusiastic about the tool, but overlook other ways of solving the problem. Adobe Illustrator provides many ways to do something. Anyway, a great thing about blogs is that comments can teach you a lot about the software. I plan to finish this up by tomorrow.

Thanks for your comment, Michael.

Steven Gordon
Cartagram, LLC

Steven Gordon

Steven Gordon

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • United States

Just finished my tutorial on using Adobe Illustrator's Shape Builder tool to efficiently draw area features on maps. Read it here. Please be sure to comment.

I'm sure to come across more cartographic uses of this tool. If you think of one, let me know. I may create a follow up "gallery" piece demonstrating your technique.

• Jacques Gélinas likes this
Steven Gordon
Cartagram, LLC

Jacques Gélinas

Jacques Gélinas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

Steven,

I am a bit late in replying to your post.

I have used the shape builder tool extensively when building land cover polygons from forestry raster maps. An excellent interactive topology building tool. 

Jacques Gélinas
cartographer
www.cartesgeo.ca

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adobe illustrator, shape builder, mapmaking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->