• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

lovelace

lovelace

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United Kingdom

For those still using Manifold and wondering about its future in 2013 it is interesting to note that the GIS department of the University of Northern British Columbia (UNBC) places Manifold GIS at the bottom of its list of “other GIS software, now deceased”!
www.gis.unbc.ca/courses/geog300/lectures/ppt/12-Summary.ppt

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Canada

I run a custom mapmaking business using Manifold and another "dead" application, Adobe FreeHand. If the "live" industry standards, Arc and Illustrator, could be brought to the same level of efficiency and practicality, I'd switch over. But no – they haven't, and I won't. Long live dead software! :)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

For those still using Manifold and wondering about its future in 2013 it is interesting to note that the GIS department of the University of Northern British Columbia (UNBC) places Manifold GIS at the bottom of its list of “other GIS software, now deceased”!
www.gis.unbc.ca/courses/geog300/lectures/ppt/12-Summary.ppt

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

It such a shame. Manifold was a very economical tool that can do a lot and had a great deal of potential. With some more speed and additional cartography tools it could compete very effectively.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

lovelace

lovelace

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United Kingdom

It such a shame. Manifold was a very economical tool that can do a lot and had a great deal of potential. With some more speed and additional cartography tools it could compete very effectively.

It still is... Just hope the activation key system doesn't die too.

Myklukha

Myklukha

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ukraine

Manifold was and still a good software but their support team and their employees sucks, the worst support ever, very arrogant people. Had an issue once when my computer died and their support simply cancelled my key instead of helping to reactivate. And I have 3 or 4 valid activation keys, not sad if they went bankrupt due to their ignorance.....so long Manifold...........

tonyw

tonyw

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Canada

Over at the Manifold forum http://www.georefere.../forum/a0.93468 there sure is a lot of spam piling up, one poster Applefly has 40 spam posts selling video conversion and ripping software and IOS sync software. It used to be a moderator would delete spam the same day but it's really accumulating. I wonder how things are going for Manifold in Hong Kong. Anyone pass by the 22nd floor, 3 Lockhart Road, Wanchai, HK to see if there is any activity? http://www.manifold....n/contact.shtml Perhaps we should be grateful the forum server and the activation server are still functioning. It's still great software.

Edit. The spam on the Manifold.net community forum has been deleted. Throw us a bone, anything, any hope of v9?

lovelace

lovelace

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United Kingdom

In response to Tonyw let me share my recent experiences with the person (or persons) now in charge of Manifold and the implications for the future of the product. I recently inquired (politely) by email to manifold “sales” about all the spam on their forum and the fact that the last announcement on the Manifold site was in June 2012 while also pointing out that I was a long term user and indeed advocate of Manifold (I have persuaded a number of people to buy Manifold over the years). Someone purporting to be “tech” responded by burning a token in revenge for me even daring to inquire. In response to a contributor to the Manifold forum who was also complaining about all the spam and the general lack of technical content, I relayed my experience (again politely) contrasting it to that of the FOSS4G community and its actively developing software stack. Next day I received a hysterically hostile email from ‘forum admin’, blacklisting me for ever (unless I gave then a grovelling apology) and deleting my post. Manifold behaves as if it were based in North Korea and is administered by a sulking child in a permanent tantrum. It is therefore not surprising that there has been no development of Manifold now for well over four years and the last bug-fix was more than a year ago. Having attended FOSS4G 2013 (830 delegates from around the world) its fairly obvious where the future of GIS lies. A small indicator as follows: QGIS has just had a major overhaul to QGIS2 (September 22nd) but a number of the plugins are broken due to API changes under the hood. Within a day of inquiring of the writer of a particular plugin which no longer worked with the new version I received an extremely pleasant email from him telling me that a compatible version had just been uploaded that very day. Modern software is under continuous development by smart forward-thinking entrepreneurs but who are also collaborative and open minded world citizens. For this latter reason alone it is unlikely that Manifold will be anything more than of historical interest, which is a shame because Manifold was a truly innovative product but that was years ago now. Tonyw, the only bone you are likely to be thrown is a dinosaur bone!

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

What is Manifold other then a car part?

• Hans van der Maarel likes this
"Abbas of novus versus"

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Canada

A place in Pennsylvania . . . .

mdsumner

mdsumner

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Australia

In response to Tonyw let me share my recent experiences with the person (or persons) now in charge of Manifold and the implications for the future of the product. I recently inquired (politely) by email to manifold “sales” about all the spam on their forum and the fact that the last announcement on the Manifold site was in June 2012 while also pointing out that I was a long term user and indeed advocate of Manifold (I have persuaded a number of people to buy Manifold over the years). Someone purporting to be “tech” responded by burning a token in revenge for me even daring to inquire. In response to a contributor to the Manifold forum who was also complaining about all the spam and the general lack of technical content, I relayed my experience (again politely) contrasting it to that of the FOSS4G community and its actively developing software stack. Next day I received a hysterically hostile email from ‘forum admin’, blacklisting me for ever (unless I gave then a grovelling apology) and deleting my post. Manifold behaves as if it were based in North Korea and is administered by a sulking child in a permanent tantrum. It is therefore not surprising that there has been no development of Manifold now for well over four years and the last bug-fix was more than a year ago. Having attended FOSS4G 2013 (830 delegates from around the world) its fairly obvious where the future of GIS lies. A small indicator as follows: QGIS has just had a major overhaul to QGIS2 (September 22nd) but a number of the plugins are broken due to API changes under the hood. Within a day of inquiring of the writer of a particular plugin which no longer worked with the new version I received an extremely pleasant email from him telling me that a compatible version had just been uploaded that very day. Modern software is under continuous development by smart forward-thinking entrepreneurs but who are also collaborative and open minded world citizens. For this latter reason alone it is unlikely that Manifold will be anything more than of historical interest, which is a shame because Manifold was a truly innovative product but that was years ago now. Tonyw, the only bone you are likely to be thrown is a dinosaur bone!

It would be fair of you to post the actual email exchanges you allude to rather than just saying they were hostile/rude/sulking/etc.  Then we could decide rather than taking your word for it. 

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Apparently stuff is happening on the Manifold forum: http://www.georefere...20125.72#120294

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

tonyw

tonyw

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Canada

Apparently stuff is happening on the Manifold forum: http://www.georefere...20125.72#120294

What is the post you're linking to re: stuff happening at Manifold? Anything promising in 2013? The page you link to comes up as an empty page. 

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

It was a long post by Dmitri which touched upon a lot of subjects up to and including dating advice.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->