14 replies to this topic

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

here's the latest i've been working on. ideas welcome for a better sinking ship symbol... or anything else... file is about 350 kb.

edit: hmm, download doesn't seem to be working here for me on a test. if other have the same problem make it known and i'll try a different file.

edit: okay, pdf seems to be working and not a jpg for some reason...

Attached Files

• Attached File  nwhi.pdf   358.36KB   331 downloads

merft

merft

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • United States

here's the latest i've been working on.  ideas welcome for a better sinking ship symbol... or anything else... file is about 350 kb.

edit: hmm, download doesn't seem to be working here for me on a test.  if other have the same problem make it known and i'll try a different file.

edit: okay, pdf seems to be working and not a jpg for some reason...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rob. Nice map.

Couple editorial comments/suggestions:

1) The text under the lower left image (bird sitting on archaeological features) is the only text that is left justified. The rest of the images are fully justified.

2) I would move the word "Hawaiian" in Hawaiian Islands, slightly south off the bathymetric contour.

3) I would drop the bathymetry from the legend and label the bathymetric contours instead.

As for the sinking ship symbol, difficult to make out (pixellated). I would look for some old WWII ship silhouettes and maybe use those. Tilt at angle and cut half off like they're sinking?

Nice work, -Tom

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • United States

thanks tom, all good ideas; especially labeling the bathy.

per the ship, that's pretty much what I've got now, with the stern cut off, just a little skeptical it's identifiable for map readers; my wife, who's a pretty lay map reader, wondered what it was lol. attached is a blow up.

rj

Attached Files

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic &amp; Kite Photography
  • United States

Rob,

Very nice piece.

My conly comment concerns all the linework. I would make the graticule a more subtle white line. It seems too distracting as is and interrupts the buffer lines.

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • United States

martin, you mean 'all' the line work or the garticule? per the graticle, now that you point that out i'd have to agree. i'll try to figure out some way to drop it down. white doesn't work on against the base, completely illegible. Right now the graticule is 60% black @ .5pt. One of the big unknowns on this project is the printing; it will be on a news press with no proofing, so I'm pretty skeptical of line fidelity and will have no chance to change anything once it rolls. I've been designing with playing it safe in mind.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Rob,

Nice map!

- Perhaps change the locator map to a more detailed one showing the location of these islands relative to the main Hawaiian islands. It depends a bit on whether or not the majority of your readers knows where Hawaii is...

- As for the sinking ship symbol, I think a symbol showing both the bow and the stern sticking out of the water would work better.

- Are you sure that plane-wreck is a Corsair? They didn't enter service properly until 1944 so there wouldn't have been any of them around during the Battle of Midway.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Is this for lay readers or a very specialized technical audience? If the former, I'd use statute miles in the scale instead of nautical miles. Also might make sense to label 180 deg as the International Date Line, (if that's right).
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the ideas Hans & Dennis.

- Perhaps change the locator map to a more detailed one showing the location of these islands relative to the main Hawaiian islands. It depends a bit on whether or not the majority of your readers knows where Hawaii is...

They are on there, perhaps got lost during the resampling; but yes, the audience is local.

- Are you sure that plane-wreck is a Corsair? They didn't enter service properly until 1944 so there wouldn't have been any of them around during the Battle of Midway.

Well the battle of Midway was in 1942, so you bring up a very valid point. All text captions came from the client and I just used them verbatim. Will have to bring that up...lol

Is this for lay readers or a very specialized technical audience? If the former, I'd use statute miles in the scale instead of nautical miles. Also might make sense to label 180 deg as the International Date Line, (if that's right).

It is for lay readers and both of these ideas would be well suited to them.

thanks again.

rob

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Netherlands

Well the battle of Midway was in 1942, so you bring up a very valid point.  All text captions came from the client and I just used them verbatim.  Will have to bring that up...lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It takes a military history geek (yo!) to spot that one... Mind you, it's perfectly possible that there is in fact a Corsair wreck somewhere on the bottom there (apparently it was a difficult plane to fly), but there weren't any in use in that area in '42.
Red Geographics

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Wow - I want to go there!!!

I would like see a little more detail work for Kauai as opposed to flat green polygon (I know its not the focus),
just to add some verticle dash to the map so readers understand the volcanic topography.

Are the yellow blocks 1km grids based on surveys? When was survey done? (maybe it says this and I missed it)

Re: Corsaic (lol)

Known as the most outstanding carrier-based fighter to be used operationally in WWII, the Corsair has become legendary. Known to the Japanese as "Whistling Death", the Corsair was the first U.S. fighter to exceed 400 m.p.h. Initially thought by the Navy high command to be unsuitable for carrier operations, it was given to the Marines, who operated from land bases. The Marines were happy to replace their old Wildcats with this hot new fighter, and soon showed everyone what the Corsair was capable of. Pappy Boyington and his Black Sheep Squadron was one of many who used the Corsair's abilities to its fullest. Zzzzzrrrrrrrrooooooooooom!

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • United States

never underestimate printing time...LOL

pretty much tripped out seeing how old this post was.

anyhow, this is what finally got printed.

thanks to all who provided input.

aloha,

rob

Attached File  MasterComposite_CT_v12_copy.png   654.51KB   116 downloads (650 kb)

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Netherlands

never underestimate printing time...LOL

pretty much tripped out seeing how old this post was.

Almost 2 years :rolleyes:

Map looks great, Rob!
Red Geographics

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

I really enjoy that map. The colors, lines, icons really work. Of course, whenever I see a map of Hawaii I think of the series LOST. :lol:

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

Hey Rob,

I just wanted to say that those icons rock. They blend in and stand out at the same time. Wonderful.
Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
- blog
- maps

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Yeah - ditto the last few posts - very, very nice work.
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->