• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

William Jameson

William Jameson

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

I made this map for my aunt, who still lives on the original family farm in Kingsbury, NY.

The contours were from Global Mapper, imported to OCAD (Orienteering Computer Aided Design), and I used an aerial shot from Bing Maps as a drawing template. Then I did minimal fieldchecking. I'm sure there's more detail out there in the woods, but that wasn't the purpose of the map. I gave it to my aunt for her 80th birthday.

Doing this gave me the idea of looking for customers with large estates who would like a similar map. Has anyone looked into that market?

William

Attached Files

jon orchard

jon orchard

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

I always think it is nice to label the contours, especially where there are only a few.

Nice map though!

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

That's a big legend for a little map. Why not just put labels directly on the map for most of these things? And surely the family has nicknames for the various places and areas.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Marty Elmer

Marty Elmer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

That's a big legend for a little map. Why not just put labels directly on the map for most of these things? And surely the family has nicknames for the various places and areas.

I agree, and there seems to be a few items in the legend that don't appear on the map (Artifact? Indistinct trail?). Labeling the individual buildings would be neat to see too, right now all the legend is telling me is the fact that they're buildings. It would also go a long way towards telling me what this farm actually produces, which is information that feels conspicuously absent in the map's current state. Based on the info in the notes and legend, all I can guess is that there's at least cows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->