Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

Hans suggested that I post a little about myself. My name is Rick Dey, I'm a cartographer with California State Automobile Association (AAA in Northern California) in San Francisco. I received my BA in Geography (specialized in Cartography) from CSU Northridge in '78. As everyone knows it's tough getting jobs in the field fresh out of school, so it was about 7 years before I finally got into the field. I worked for North American Maps until we were sold to Rand McNally, where I was the production manager for the California Cartographic location. After a few years they shut down all the satellite facilities and I went to work for a printer in SF that had been doing work for us. From there I was able to make the connection to CSAA and have been here for 8 years.
We are one of only 2 of the local AAA clubs that still make our own maps, we publish about 95 titles of street and road maps for Northern California, Nevada, and Utah. Ten cartographers maintain all the titles on an 18 month cycle. Map production here is all done in Illustrator on the Macintosh platform, having converted from scribing over a 12 year period ending about 5 years ago. We are using GIS data principally for source material when received from government agencies and using a variety of methods to work with it, but primarily MAPublisher and ArcView.
I found CartoTalk through Avenza and look forward to sharing thoughts and ideas between projects. I'd certainly be interested in opinions of the new type engine in Illustrator CS and it's effect on existing projects.
Rick Dey

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

I'd certainly be interested in opinions of the new type engine in Illustrator CS and it's effect on existing projects.

NOTE: I moved Alpine Mapping Guild's response to this quote to here so the resulting discussion would be in a more appropriate forum.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->