• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

William Jameson

William Jameson

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

This is an orienteering map that I created for my local club. It was made with contours derived from a City planning map, and a day's worth of fieldwork. I originally made this map in 1987, and drew it on mylar using ink.

Earlier this year, I was asked to digitize it, so I scanned it as a background and redrew it with OCAD (Orienteering Computer Aided Design) v. 11.

My larger and more detailed maps can be seen in low resolution at emeraldcartography.com

Hope you enjoy it.

William

Attached Files

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Does orienteering maps have a world standard? I was surprised to see that it had a very similar style to the maps we have here! (Sweden)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

William Jameson

William Jameson

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

Yes, there is a document called the "International Specification for Orienteering Maps", which can be seen at:
http://orienteering....Maps-2000_2.pdf

The specifications are built into OCAD (Orienteering Computer Aided Design).

William

Paul H

Paul H

Paul from JIMAPCO

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • United States

I'm surprised the Washington Park Lake footbridge isn't shown on the map.

AndrewM

AndrewM

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United Kingdom

Very nice map :) My only bugbear was that I found the legend items to be a bit cramped. Most of them are fairly self explanatory anyway (probably even more so if you're used to orienteering) but I think a little more white space between each item would make it easy to interpret at a glance when you're on the move!

William Jameson

William Jameson

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

Yeah, I guess the legend is a little cramped. Usually there are a lot more symbols so they have to be tight.

And how did I miss the bridge? I wonder if it wasn't there 25 years ago when I first made the map...I didn't do any rechecking, as someone else supposedly did it just before I did the computer drafting... Or maybe I just missed it.

Anyway, we don't use it for orienteering anymore, because people keep stealing the controls while the meet is going on.
I just did the redrafting so that some of the club maps would still have my name on them. All the other ones that I did with ink on mylar have long since been redrafted in OCAD by others.

William

Paul H

Paul H

Paul from JIMAPCO

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • United States

The footbridge over Washington Park Lake is the only remaining original structure in Washington Park. Erected over the lake in 1875, the lamps on the bridge were originally gas burning but were electrified in 1881.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->