Agffg800

Agffg800

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

I have a question about the world topographic basemap that esri has here:

http://www.arcgis.co...4b155828351ef0e

This map has a buildings layer on it with just about every building in many cities, and I am curious about how you could obtain a shapefile of these buildings. I am a bit new to this, so I am unsure if this is something that esri owns, or if it is data that you can get for free, or purchase? Thanks in advance.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Canada

I have a question about the world topographic basemap that esri has here:

http://www.arcgis.co...4b155828351ef0e

This map has a buildings layer on it with just about every building in many cities, and I am curious about how you could obtain a shapefile of these buildings. I am a bit new to this, so I am unsure if this is something that esri owns, or if it is data that you can get for free, or purchase? Thanks in advance.

This may vary from country to country. The buildings data comes from contributors. The entire Esri topographic base map program relies on data contributions, usually from national, subnational or municipal governments. If you pan and zoom in on a number of areas you will notice that the content varies somewhat from place to place. Some communities have a complete data set that includes buildings, cadastral fabic, etc. Others do not. It depends on who is providing the data and what they have.

To quote from the page you're looking at:

The service was compiled to uniform cartography using a variety of best available sources from several data providers, including the U.S. Geological Survey, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, U.S. National Park Service, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), Department of Natural Resources Canada (NRCAN), Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Dutch Kadaster, DeLorme, NAVTEQ, and Esri.

Much of the data for the World Topographic Map is provided by the GIS community. You can contribute your data to this service and have it served by Esri. For details on the users who contributed data for this map via the Community Maps Program, view the list of Contributors for the World Topographic Map.

Esri does not own the data - they are only allowed to use it to generate a cached map. You would have to find out where the data comes from and contact the data originator for the area you are looking at (visit the Contributors page)

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

As you may know, the main contributors of such data for US cities would be the city or county GIS office. Big cities often want you to pay for building- or parcel-level datasets, but smaller cities often have them available on their websites.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

If you are just interested in building footprints from a free source - you should check out what OpenStreetMap (OSM) has for your area of interest.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Agffg800

Agffg800

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

If you are just interested in building footprints from a free source - you should check out what OpenStreetMap (OSM) has for your area of interest.

This makes much more sense now... how the particular basemap I was looking at is compiled from contributors data. I have used OSM before and it is a fantastic resource. Their building footprint data is fairly limited at this point, some cities are complete but I think most are not. When I came across the world topographic basemap, I was excited to see how much building footprint data there was, and I was just wondering where it all came from.

Thanks so much for your responses, this helped me understand a bit better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->