• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Wondering what people use to abbreviate Hollows, or as we say down here in Arkansas "Hollers"?

The USPS uses Holw, but I like to use two or three letters for abbreviations.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Wondering what people use to abbreviate Hollows, or as we say down here in Arkansas "Hollers"?

The USPS uses Holw, but I like to use two or three letters for abbreviations.

kru

How about "Hlw"?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Unfamiliar to most readers, so spell it out.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Unfamiliar to most readers, so spell it out.

I was trying that at first, but then started running into space issues. Problem is that I have 1033 of these to label. I'm guessing that will use Hol. Good thing is most of my target audience will understand since all we have on the Ozark Plateau are hollows and not valleys.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Do they really need to be labeled? How about using a symbol or pattern instead? If they must be labeled, how about Hllws? Paired with a condensed font I bet you could create more space than Hol.

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • United States

Do they really need to be labeled? How about using a symbol or pattern instead? If they must be labeled, how about Hllws? Paired with a condensed font I bet you could create more space than Hol.

Yes they do need to be labeled, that is one of the main purposes of this map. I do like Hllw.

Thanks,
kru
Strabo 22AD

Paul H

Paul H

Paul from JIMAPCO

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • United States

If there are 1033 hollows on the map, users will become familiar with the word. I would use Hollow where I have lots of space, Hol where I have not so much space, and H where I have no space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->