Would appreciate some critique of this piece:

Attached File  Harborwalk_audio_tour_mapV2.jpg   389.45KB   366 downloads

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Martin,

Some initial remarks:

- It seems you have an aerial photo or satellite image very faintly in the back. It really grabs the attention, but I'm not sure whether it's suitable in this case. If you do want to make a point of showing it, maybe you'll want to make it a bit more prominent.

- You're showing the layout of footpaths in Christopher Columbus Park, but not in any of the other parks. Is there a specific reason to that?

- The ferry route leading north from the eastern side of the Northern Avenue Bridge is unlabelled.

- The lettering in the title isn't working for me. I assume this will be for a handheld map that a user can easily rotate 90 degrees to read the title (and I'm pretty sure it will work that way), but seeing it like this on a screen... :blink:

- Why is the South Station symbol red/black whereas all the other transit stops are just black? (well... all 1 of them)

- Tracks leading south from South station seem to end before the edge of the map.

Having said all this, I really like it though :D Nice, subtle colors and good lettering.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

- It seems you have an aerial photo or satellite image very faintly in the back. It really grabs the attention, but I'm not sure whether it's suitable in this case. If you do want to make a point of showing it, maybe you'll want to make it a bit more prominent.

It was initially more prominent but since the map has to work printed both on a color and on a b/w printer I has to make it lighter so that there would be enough contrast in b/w. I like the subtlety of it.

- You're showing the layout of footpaths in Christopher Columbus Park, but not in any of the other parks. Is there a specific reason to that?

This is a bit of a propaganda piece and alot of the parks shown don't yet exist so they have no paths. And for those that do exist there are not always paths in the datset, maybe I need to go back to the orthos and see if I can't pick out some more.

- The lettering in the title isn't working for me. I assume this will be for a handheld map that a user can easily rotate 90 degrees to read the title (and I'm pretty sure it will work that way), but seeing it like this on a screen...  :blink:

It is meant to be printed out. And they wanted a modern feel that goes with the MP3 theme. Plus I have this long vertical spce to fill out so...

- Why is the South Station symbol red/black whereas all the other transit stops are just black? (well... all 1 of them)

Must show subway stops but not subways lines. South station is a red and silver line stop. Aquarium is a blue line stop and courthouse is a silver line only stop... I had the labels color code also before but it was too distracting... Maybe this is confusing?

- Tracks leading south from South station seem to end before the edge of the map.

Thanks for pointing that out, I guess a building got lost in the export....

mg

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Martin,

It is meant to be printed out.  And they wanted a modern feel that goes with the MP3 theme. Plus I have this long vertical spce to fill out so...

Yeah, I kind of assumed that already. Like I said, it probabely works better when you're holding it in your hands.

Must show subway stops but not subways lines. South station is a red and silver line stop. Aquarium is a blue line stop and courthouse is a silver line only stop... I had the labels color code also before but it was too distracting... Maybe this is confusing?

To me, yes, but I've never been to Boston. I guess if you're actually there, looking at the map, you'll make the connection with the subway lines.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

To me, yes, but I've never been to Boston. I guess if you're actually there, looking at the map, you'll make the connection with the subway lines.

I've added a sub-label to indicate the line, I think these will be helpful if its printed out in B/W

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

A very nice piece of work. It's hard to find fault.

The main thing is the building offset/shadows distract me a little. Because they're all the same offset and don't apply to towers, I read them as sides of the buildings, and then it bothers me for them to encroach into the street. A slightly lighter tone might help, or shifting them to northwest rather than southeast might be appropriate for a map focusing on the harbor.

Though it's not MBTA standard, I'd reverse the T out of a colored circle, to better see the blue/red/silver. That would also link it to the other amenity symbols.

I think the path edges in Columbus park would read better as solids of a lighter green. As edges they look almost like building footprints.

The anchor doesn't immediately make me think "ferry stop." I'd symbolize that with the bow of a boat of appropriate size. With only two observation decks, I'd just label them and avoid the obscure symbolization.

Marriott Long Wharf should be spelled with two T's. Boston gets enough furrin tourists that I'd add meters to the scale.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Nice!!!

I would change scale from feet to miles (1/4 mile) as when I walk I think of distances in terms of miles, not how many feet I will walk.

Title is neat - I assume this is how text is displayed on MP3 players? Not too familiar - still rock out with my Walkman. lol My first impression of the map was that it was a Japanese tourist map (:o due to sideways title, but then I got used to it.

The building shading is a nice touch.

I would also expect, and like to see, a tighter distinction between pier and water, althought the dotted lines help, but they are superimposed ontop of the waterline, which I thought was washed out, to use a pun.

Again - well done and great idea too.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->