• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

fleybovich

fleybovich

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Hi all,

I have a one credit independent study that requires that I figure out how to do basically one thing:
Obtain a GIS vector map, show how to clip the area with poly-lines of the contours with their elevations, and export them to AutoCad for calculating the areas produced by different contours to show watersheds. Fairly simple application of ArcGIS but since I am a newbie to this program I have been getting stuck left and right. Can someone here, firstly, show me where I can find a map in vector form of elevations or contours of the US?, and then, how I can use that information to do a clip (which for some reason my version of ArcMap 9.3, I couldn't figure out how to do it)?. And finally then how to convert it to AutoCAD.

This would be tremendously appreciated because this project is coming due and I am becoming desperate in terms of figuring out how to use it to do what I want. Please, please give me some advice.

Sincerely,
A newbie to ARCGIS

fleybovich

fleybovich

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Anyone???????? Please???????

jrat

jrat

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • United States

There are alot of free training videos on ESRI's website. I would start there for simple clip and export functions. There are alot of sources for vector data in the us. You can start with data from USGS. There are may other sites too. You might be able to find on via ArcGIS Online then open it in arcmap. Again you can find how to do this on ESRI's website. Good Luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->