2 replies to this topic

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • United States

Does anyone have a source for a credible public domain shapefile of current US Postal Service carrier routes? I've found a few places to license it from (Maponics is one source), but I feel like it's probably available out there for free straight from the government if I only knew which dark corner of the internet to look in.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Adam

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

I make legends.

I make legends.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • United States

Hi Adam,

I am not a GIS mapper, but I have had conversations with my postal delivery guy (USPS) about his job. Apparently, the USPS uses calculations based on delivery statitstica to maximize efficiency in their routes -- however this causes carrier routes to change often. It looks like this occurs monthly.

Here is a link to a USPS website that indicates that they only sell the data, or at least that's how it sounds. Now, mind you, not being a GIS'er, I don't know if these are shapefiles or what this data looks like. But there is a phone number for questions, and also ordering them if it's what you need (it would at least be cheaper than going through a vendor who's already paid for them and enhanced them).

http://pe.usps.com/c...mm_old/A930.pdf

What you're looking for on this web page is the 2.0 AIS database products. And then the 3.0 (and subheadings) gives you the details about what you'll get and how to get it. There is a phone number and I'm guessing this is the most direct route to getting the data you want.

Let us know what you find out.

skorasaurus

skorasaurus

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • United States

Hi Adam,

I am not a GIS mapper, but I have had conversations with my postal delivery guy (USPS) about his job. Apparently, the USPS uses calculations based on delivery statitstica to maximize efficiency in their routes -- however this causes carrier routes to change often. It looks like this occurs monthly.

Here is a link to a USPS website that indicates that they only sell the data, or at least that's how it sounds. Now, mind you, not being a GIS'er, I don't know if these are shapefiles or what this data looks like. But there is a phone number for questions, and also ordering them if it's what you need (it would at least be cheaper than going through a vendor who's already paid for them and enhanced them).

http://pe.usps.com/c...mm_old/A930.pdf

What you're looking for on this web page is the 2.0 AIS database products. And then the 3.0 (and subheadings) gives you the details about what you'll get and how to get it. There is a phone number and I'm guessing this is the most direct route to getting the data you want.

Let us know what you find out.

OpenStreetMap has tried to access spatial data from the Postal Service. Unfortunately, the USPS's unique organization structure (they're not government-owned or a part of the Federal govt) - see http://en.wikipedia....nd_organization - means that they are not required to release their information in the public domain like other federal government agencies (USGS, etc). You'll have to pay for the data (likely not cheap) and likely have license restrictions on its use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->