4 replies to this topic

I make legends.

I make legends.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • United States

I know better than to post anything anywhere on the internet in the early morning hours without sleep, but here goes anyway!

I read a bit around the forums before registering, and I have to say, you're a lively and intelligent bunch. Thank you for sharing all of your wisdom. Makes me proud to be a cartographer.

I graduated from San Diego State in 1995 with my geography degree, emphasis in cartography, and certificate in GIS. At that time, the technology was still on the new side. My first job making maps was with a company that still had a few mappers who were doing their job with pen on paper.

While still figuring out what I wanted to be when I grew up, I was having trouble deciding whether to pursue art or science. I was involved in the arts, and had been a budding artist all my life, but I was fascinated with geology and earth studies. When I transferred to a new university and found that mapping was an actual subject, I was in heaven. It was the perfect fusion. I should have gone on to grad school at the time, but I was burned out on making up general ed classes and didn't want to take the GRE. :) I eventually had to take it anyway when I tried getting a master's in a different subject, but only stayed in 1 year. It was so wrong for me. I'm a map girl.

So... in a decidedly nutty shell, here I am reclaiming my first love (we all pored over maps as children, right?) and considering how I might incorporate mapmaking back into my life at this time. It couldn't possibly make things any worse! ;)

Nice to meet you all.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

Hi and welcome to a fellow SDSU alum! :)
'95? I think that was the same year I graduated with my Bachelor's from there as well (sometimes the years run together! :lol:).

edited: I double-checked. I did graduate in '95. :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

I make legends.

I make legends.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • United States

Well hi! What a fun coincidence! You know, when I moved back to my hometown and interviewed for my first real cart job, my interviewer turned out to be someone I'd had a class with my last semester. We are everywhere! Did you go on to get your master's there?

You know, I look back at the final project I did, and it looks so cheesy. Not anywhere near the stellar work of art I imagined it at the time! It's funny how perspective changes.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

Yes, we are. :)

No, I got my Master's at Penn State (also, we are everywhere. :lol:)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

I make legends.

I make legends.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • United States

Hey, whoever validated me, thanks! Did you move to Penn, Dave? Anyway, fun times. I miss those days in the CESAR lab.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->