• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

ThomasJ

ThomasJ

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Japan

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on CartoTalk although I have lurked around for a few years. I'm hoping to get some feedback on a map I've made showing the population distribution in the Lake Turkana drainage basin (Ethiopia/Kenya).

I'm not a cartographer so I'd appreciate any feedback from the experienced hands here! I've undoubtedly made a lot of amateur mistakes...

This map is part of a series of maps I am producing for an international audience interested in lake basin management. The main purpose will be to comparatively show the similarities/differences of 13 African lake basins. I've also got some topographic/surface water maps as well as climate maps that I might post below to give an idea of the themes I am working on.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Attached File  Turkana_pop.jpg   850.77KB   120 downloads

woneil

woneil

Will O'Neil

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • United States

The map puts the point across well, it seems to me. One minor detail is that in the legend bloc you have "(persons/km2)" where I think you really mean "(persons/km2)".
Will O'Neil
Author and amateur cartographer

http://analysis.williamdoneil.com/w.d.oneil@pobox.com

ThomasJ

ThomasJ

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Japan

The map puts the point across well, it seems to me. One minor detail is that in the legend bloc you have "(persons/km2)" where I think you really mean "(persons/km2)".

Will, Thanks for catching that!

I also got comments from a colleague who was confused by the way the mask surrounding the basin was making the international boundary lines look different. I therefore moved them above that mask but, because I don't want to really emphasize the borders, I made them a bit thinner. A revised file is attached.

Attached File  Turkana_pop2.jpg   897.48KB   23 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->