20 replies to this topic

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • United States

Yes, it's coming along nicely! I would stretch out the width of the legend to be the same width as the highlighted area of the map on the first page. I would also consider adding a box to show the area of the highlighted section on the second page, just an outline with a line just thick enough to bring it out. Just suggestions. :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Bilal

Bilal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Palestinian Territory

Just suggestions. :)

thank you for your suggetions :)

i need your advice please, they are thinking to remove the background which located under the highlighted part. the scale will be set to 1:3500
so, in such case i will be forced to put all the other contents on the bigger map which will include: legend, and Index table

do u think such a step is wise or it will produce a mess ?

thanks in advance :)

Attached Files

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • United States

So one side of the map would just be the highlighted more detailed area without any other information? And the other side would have the greater extent and include all of the ancillary information like the legend, title, etc.? The main drawback I see there is people would have to flip back and forth to match up symbols on the map and symbols in the legend. That's actually a good argument to label as many things on the map as possible, so readers don't have to refer to the legend. One way to think about that is to think about what kinds of features are unique and/or which ones are more important. For example, you might label the govenrment buildings with their names and use symbols for taxi stands. Think about hierarchy of information for the map readers, making things easy and simple for the map readers, and reducing the need to refer to the legend (usually a good thing for any map). Elegance and visual appeal go hand in hand and often mean a map is more "user-friendly" as well.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Bilal

Bilal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Palestinian Territory

Salam for everybody :)

I would like to share the final copy of the Map before print it!!

thank you very much for you advices, it really help me to draw out the map

:)

Attached Files

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Bilal,

You've made a typo in "embassy" in the legend.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Also "churche" in the legend. And in English we usually write Yasser Arafat with two s's. Also, an Episcopal Church is not usually described as Protestant; is that something this particular church uses? Al Lothariyah Church has lost its label.

The symbol used for school, university, and college is normally used in the US to represent library.

Something seems very strange about the letterspacing of the road names. Perhaps your software is substituting fonts?
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->