Bilal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Palestinian Territory

hi all,,

im working to produce a tourist map for ramallah city/ west bank- Palestine,

it still in the earlier phase but i will be happy to hear from you :)

thank you all

Attached Files

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • United States

hi Bilal,
Not really a lot to go on at this point. Some of your icons overlap, and depending on the final print/display size you might want to increase the size of the icons, especially the green one (I can't tell if it's just a dot or if it has something more to it). I will look forward to seeing this develop. :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

IlliniBone

IlliniBone

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

hi all,,

im working to produce a tourist map for ramallah city/ west bank- Palestine,

it still in the earlier phase but i will be happy to hear from you :)

thank you all

Seems to need something more, perhaps add imagery and make it partially transparent?

Try to use different colored symbols, all of them being blue is a bit confusing.

Of course, add some sort of legend.

Bilal

Bilal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Palestinian Territory

thanks guys,,

Here we are, my boss asked me to produce a tourist map for the city, a map that as she said" should be inside a 14*14 inches and the scale is 10,000. Im trying to make the symbology interpretation as simple as i can according to the sheet size/scale, but it really confusing me. it will contian mch details for facilities that will be important for the tourists.

Is it possible or shoud i fight for a bigger fram, and more suitable scale.

another thing, the green points which appear in first attchement it was tree symbology bump style (3d) but it clear that it will be useless in such a fram!!

thank you all,,

this one includes the Road, main and residential, green area, industrial area, build-up area some of the symbology such as hotles, schools and taxi places it will contain more.

Attached Files

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • United States

That's definitely an improvement. :)
Much more work to do though. Labels, title, map surrounds like legends, scale bars, north arrow, etc. - but only as needed. Keep on going. :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

Now you're getting there!!! Keep plugging away. Dave B's advice is spot on.

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

Bilal

Bilal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Palestinian Territory

im thankfull for all of you guys :)

here is the 1st draft even it sill need alot of work on the Street Name, legenda, titles scale and north arrow,

but what do u think about the colors, symbology sets... etc

again thank you all for your help

Is there any symbol present the tourist office in GIS, any useful link please :)

Attached Files

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • United States

Hi Bilal,
I think the green circles (trees?) stand out a bit too strongly. I would probably drop them entirely, but if you want to keep them I would at least make them less saturated in color, less bright - I know green is one of those colors that can look quite different on screen vs. in a printed document, so I would consider the final medium for using/displaying the map.

Some of the other icons, in the map and in the legend, could be bigger to make them easier to read (but I'm not as young as I used to be and my eyesight is not the sharpest).

Also, think about hierarchy. What is the most important information for your map readers, for example? Make that the most prominent in the visual hierarchy of the map.

I found a symbol for Tourist Information in the esri Transportation style in ArcMap. It's basically a white question mark in a black square. I also found this wikipedia article that shows a yellow italic lowercase letter "I" in a blue square. I would look at signage for your local tourist offices/centers and see if they have a particular symbol that you could adapt for your map.

Keep on mapping! :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

I make legends.

I make legends.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • United States

Hello,

I like the direction the map is going. It's rough when you don't have control over some of the layout decisions, but besides scale and map size, you seem to have a lot of decision making power here. That's good. What software are you using?

My friendly disclaimer: Please don't take my criticisms to heart. I'm trying to tell you how to ask useful questions of yourself as you go, so that you can see the map in a different way, and edit in what it really needs, while cutting out what is inconsequential. If you can put yourself "in the tourist's shoes", then you will be able to make decisions on how to proceed to improve it. I hope this is helpful to you! :)
Now I'm going to lay a lot on you in terms of editing. You don't have to do any of this -- It's really just to help you ask questions about the map to help you in your decisonmaking.

First, a suggestion on the title. You may not want to put the date in the title. You could tuck that away in a bottom corner in small text.

Next, why are only some of the major roads labeled, and not others? The same line style and color suggests that all those red roads are equally important and should be treated the same in regards to labels.

Schools. I'm looking at this map as a potential tourist, since it's a tourist map. Try to look at it from the view of the map's audience.. If you were a tourist to another place, would you need to know where the schools are? That is more for residents, I think, so if it were me, I'd remove them.

Gas stations. Are there really so few gas stations?? Only three in all of the city? If there really are so few, then it's definitely an important feature. If that is incomplete data, then it's better to either get the complete data, or leave them all off. (I guess it's clear I'm not a world traveler, so forgive me for not knowing.)

I think you should increase the size of the icons in the legend to be the same size as the ones on the map. You have enough room in the legend. They are too tiny to see their detail and match them up with what's on the map.

I'm going to ask another possibly dumb question: Do the map users really need to know where the trees are? Are these trees shown the only ones in the whole city? Do the trees need this level of importance for tourists? Although they're not in the legend as such, I'm seeing them as a tourist location, since they have the same visual weight as the other icons. They're not serving as a decorative element - if they were a background decorative element for the map, they would all be different sizes, colors, look like real trees (rarely circular when seen from above), be much more muted in color, and not be icons. So you may need to really think about these green dot trees.

You have some text that's centered vertically onto a street line, so you'll want to move that to sit above the line. I'm looking at Al-Teereh.

Government institutions. What are these institutions specifically? Other than an embassy, what government institution is a tourist likely to go to? Do they really belong on a tourist map? If so, then could they be represented with a simple colored square, and some text next to it?

You have a separate symbol for embassies and consulates, but if they wanted to go to the embassy of their home country, which location is that? You could add text to the map to label them specifically.

Expanding on the subject of labeling an icon... If a tourist wanted to enjoy a park to eat lunch at, it probably wouldn't matter the name of the park. If you need a gas station, an icon is going to be enough, no text needed. But for the locations that are unique in some way, there could be some text there to tell the tourist what is special about these sites you're showing them. (The title of the place is often enough.) Otherwise, I'm not sure it will be as useful to the map user as it could be.

I hope this is helpful and not overwhelming. :) Keep at it, Bilal. How much time do you have to work on it? Maybe I should have asked that first. :lol:

Bilal

Bilal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Palestinian Territory

I’m using ArcGIS 10. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your comments I really appreciate it,
I’m here to gain more knowledge and I believe that negative will be positive.
So again thank you very much.

before I start working on such a map I met a lot of random people who were visited Ramallah for one time, and others who are still visiting it from time to time; they asked about several places “where and how we can reach there.

And it’s good to explain more about the tourist and their interests:
they visiting us mainly for supporting the Palestinian society it’s not only for tourism activities,
for example they come here and start some cultural exchange activities, reporting their notes or even writing down their dissertation and paper about the situation in the Opts.
As conclusion, and from my perspective: it’s mistakable for me to produce a map that located only the tourism zones.
In fact they need to locate the educational facilities, governmental facilities such as the ministries beside their home embassies.

Then thank you for the title note I will fix it ;)

The road annotation it’s my bad :unsure: because I feel tired once I decide to share the previous map with you I will work to finalize it, and take care with the vertical one, about tree: the idea was to break the topography silence especially in the non-built-up area after your notes I will remove it.

It’s wise to mention that there is a focusing rectangular for the downtown it will be 1:5000, also I’m working to write down all the features name inside table which will be connect with the map Grid by another word an index for the features to save more space for the main map elements and keep it away from being fuzzy.

About the time I spent around 6 working days :)

I make legends.

I make legends.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • United States

Hi Bilal!

Thanks for explaining all that. It's interesting to note that tourism is not the same concept for all places. And considering this is Palestine, it makes sense to me now. See, you are educating me here as well. :)

Keep up the good work ~ It sounds like you have a plan for the map going forward and I wish you all the best with your work.

I think my late night boredom was part of the looong post I wrote... Thanks for being understanding! Take care and good luck.

Bilal

Bilal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Palestinian Territory

hello again :)

I'm working to finalize the map which will have as i mentioned a focusing area,

below you can find this area. :rolleyes: and i will be waiting for your comment

cheers!!

Attached Files

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • United States

Your map is coming along nicely!

I'm not sure what the focused part and the gray parts are meant to represent. Is the image you posted showing the entire map? Or is the gray part not part of the map? Are the 4 quadrants going to be separate maps or are they there to divide the map up for indexing? Also, is this part of a more extensive map or set of maps? The D3, D4, E3, E4, make me think there must be at least A-C and 1-2 as well somewhere. Also the E quadrants look like they are cut off on the right.

I notice your legend has some items listed as plural and some as singular. I would go with singular for all of them. Also, embassies are listed twice. I'm thinking the one with the "i" icon should be tourist office or something like that? Should Cafe Shop be Coffee Shop?

You are making a lot of progress! Keep on mapping! :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Bilal

Bilal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Palestinian Territory

here we are again!!
Im almost finish the map, but i need to arrange the index table. which will be over the gray area, mainly under the map title.. this map will be print out on one paper - face and back-

thank you very much for your assists :)

Attached Files

I make legends.

I make legends.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • United States

Hi Bilal,

What are the smiley faces on the second sheet? :) Mystery map locations! And a lot of them! (On comparison, it seems these are the pharmacies...)

Also, check the spelling of "municapility" - do you mean "municipality"?

The boundaries of the map grid system on the large scale map need to be cleaned up a little. Got a few overhangs there.
You have done a lot of work.. almost done!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->